Chapter 14. Sleep

Lydia's POV

"You slept walked to the bridge that night, I'd been down by the cemetery and saw you. Truthfully I didn't even think I'd make it in time to you. You'd jumped and I grabbed you just as you jumped off the bridge." He admits staring at me.

"You took me home that night." I whisper.

"You were so deep in sleep that as soon as I grabbed you, you woke slightly but fell right back asleep. Then you woke just a bit when I set you in your bed but I quickly left and you fell asleep. I didn't think you'd even remember it." He says softly.

"It took me a while to remember it." I tell him.

"I've answered your question, we have to leave now. You look..exhausted." He says softly. My eyes droop but only for a moment. He suddenly moves across the porch with me in his arms so fast that it feels like we're flying. 

My eyes widen in horror as we plummet off the rooftop three stories down. He holds me tightly to him as he runs with blinding speed. How he is holding me and running so fast is beyond me. The gate to the museum comes into view I shut my eyes as we seem to go a hundred miles an hour but he leaps over the fence missing the barbwire and fence completely.

As he lands on his feet I stare at him bewildered he smirks but doesn't let me go as he runs faster even down the street holding onto me.

My eyes can barely keep up with the things moving past us missing most of it. Then we come to a dead halt and I gasp that feeling of my heart sinking into my stomach. "Wha-" I cut off when I realize we're standing at my car which was four blocks away but he'd gotten us here in just a few seconds.

"I don't know-" I cut off yawning. "If I can drive." 

"I'll drive, give me your keys." He holds his hand out.

"You'll break my car." I grunt.

"I'm not going to break the car." He rolls his eyes. "I thought you trusted me?"

"With how you drive?" I snort.

"Give it to me Lydia or I'll take it from you." He threatens backing me against the driver side door.

I bite my lip and hold my keys out to him, he takes them and pushes  me towards the passenger seat. 

Once we're both in the car he starts it backing out quickly. The car shoots forward so fast I hit the back of the seat with an 'oof.'  "Alex!" I yell and he laughs. "You know what I'm wide awake now I think I can drive home. Besides what about your car?"

"I uh didn't bring it." He says looking down at me.

"What?" I ask confused.

"I'm faster on foot then in any car." He says softly.

Of course, should of known that.

"Why do you go by Alex instead of Silas?" I ask him.

"Are you kidding?" He knits his eyebrows together looking at me as if the answer should be a bit obvious. "Do you think it is normal to have a name like Silas now a days love? Silas is an old name like really old and it isn't one that stuck around. Have you ever heard anyone named that recently?" He arches a brow.

"Well... that's a good point." I admit. "Don't it bother you not going by your real name?"

"Not really though my family calls me Silas when nobody is around." He shrugs.

"What should I call you?" I ask raising a brow.

"Whichever you want love." He says staring out the windshield.

"You're gonna get pulled over for speeding." I point out.

"I'd notice a cop far before they'd notice me." 

"Will you tell them that I know?" I ask.

"They already knew I was going to tell you, we've been arguing about it since before you even moved here." He admits.

"So the things you knew about...like my brother you already knew he was dead before you asked didn't you? Like how..." I trail off.

His grip tightens on the wheel. "I am very sorry about your brother."

It's quiet for a long moment I don't respond and he says nothing else. 

"Where are the rest of the vampires?" I ask him curiously.

He rubs his eyes as if he's tired but I doubt that. "Most of them don't come to the main land unless during the harvest moon actually." 

"What?" I ask confused.

He sighs. "My family is the only ones who can walk in the daylight, thanks to me. So other vampires don't suspect us because none of them know about it. It's something I really would like to keep a secret... though that may change." He grimaces, looking almost angry? "The other vampires don't come to the main land except for right around September during the harvest moon the only time of year they can walk around in the day. Both curses are lifted for just the duration of the harvest moon for three or four days." 

"Why during the harvest moon?" I ask confused.

"There's been so many stories over the years but I know the one that is true though it took me years to figure it out." He admits. 

"About where vampires originate from?" I ask curiously.

"Yeah." He says quietly.

"Won't you tell me?" I ask.

"You're tired Lydia get some sleep, it's a lot to take in." He says softly brushing my hair behind my ear. 

Alex pays no attention to the road as we stare at each other his hand slowly running down my arm making me shiver slightly before taking my hand in his. Our fingers intertwine as our eyes seem to take each other in. As odd as it is I've never felt nearly as safe with anyone as I do with him.

I'm still not convinced that this is real, that it isn't a dream but what I do know is that he makes me feel very different. He raises my hand to his mouth kissing the back of it. "Sleep." He whispers, and I can't help but do as he says so I close my eyes drifting off into a dreamless sleep. No nightmares no weird stuff just a safe comforting sleep.