Damien: Surprise

"So Damien, what's recent on the house's drama?" Lucy smiles at me as she sits down on the couch next to Cassie, who rolls her eyes.

"What, Cassie didn't share?" I ask, sitting beside Lora and Stephanie on the couch next.

"Cassie shares your drama, and you share Cassie's." Lucy explains.

"I ain't got no drama." Cassie tsks.

"Oh don't you?" I smile at her. "So you told her about your last boyfriend?"

"Ooh, I want to know about that!" Lucy smirks from ear to ear.

"You didn't tell her about Peter?" I raise an eyebrow at Cassie.

"What's there to tell?" Cassie frowns and stares at the carpet. She gets up before I can tease her further.

"Where you going? I want hear!" Lucy calls after her.

"Yeah, well, my mouth is busy drinking." Cassie calls back from the kitchen, getting a bottle from the shelves.

"I can tell you." Stephanie smiles at her.

"Ooo, you're Damien's girl right?"

"Ex." Stephanie answers, I can't miss a tone of pride in her voice.

"See Damien? I told you pretty girls will kiss you." Lucy grins at us.

I lean aside and kiss Lora. Her lips curl in a smile against mine.  "You were right."

"Oh, so you're together now, and Stephanie is single?" Lucy turns her sweet smile to Stephanie now.

"I hope I'll manage to keep that for a while." Stephanie sighs and leans back in the couch.

"That'll help." Cassie says, handing her a bottle of white wine, as she sips on a red one.

"Alcohol doesn't help, it lies." Stephanie says before taking long, deep sip.

"Exactly, it'll help you lie to yourself that it's helping." Cassie replies, sitting down. Lucy reaches for the bottle, but Cassie pulls it out of reach.

I sigh and get up to bring glasses, and another bottle of wine from the kitchen. As usual.

John and Jessica come downstairs just as I'm filling our glasses.

"Thank you." John says as he takes the two glasses I just finished pouring.

"These are Lora's and mine."

"Not anymore." He smirks at me and hands a glass to Jessica.

"Asshole." I shake my head at him, pouring more.

"It's okay Damien. They're probably thirsty." Lora says, suppressing a grin.

"A toast to that!" Jessica laughs and clinks glasses with John. None of us really shares their enthusiasm.

They take the third couch around the coffee table, and John lights a spliff. Puffing a quick twice before he hands it to Jessica.

"So where's Peter?" He asks, looking to Cassie.

"Are you deaf enough to not hear me scream at him last night, or are you just trying to annoy me?" She frowns.

"You might have deafened me with your screams at him. You usually cut it clean, meaning it's not over yet."

"First, if someone's screams deafened you it's Jessica's. Second, I was screaming at him that it's over."

"Sure it is." John answers, pulling a lower eyelid down with his fingertip.

"Oh fuck off." Cassie takes a sip that reduces the bottle in a frightening pace.

I look between them, wondering who'll be right this time.

Then the doorbell rings.

"I wonder who might that be." John tilts his glass into a slow, smug sip. Cassie snorts and shakes her head at him.

"Probably your girlfriend's crazy twin. Or sane one, considering her." She replies, and Jessica blows her a kiss.

"I'll go get it." Stephanie smirks, and gets up to the door. I glance for Jessica's reaction. She seems positively amused, leaning against John.

Surprising.

"Hey Peter!' Stephanie calls as she swings open the door. Peter brushes past her, striding inside.

"What the hell..." Cassie mumbles as he stands firm in front of her.

"Can we talk, Cassie?"

"No. I thought I made it clear last night."

"I must." He answers, almost in command.

"Fine. Speak."

"I realized I didn't break it off with female patients because you asked me to, or because I fell there once before. I don't want to be a therapist. I don't want to spend my time on anyone that isn't you. There was never a person that touched my heart and soul like you do. I want to devote my life trying to make you happy like you made me."

Peter crouches to his knee before her.

"Peter, what are you doing-"

"I love you, Cassie." He pulls a velvety black jewelry box out of his jeans, and flicks it open to reveal the diamond. "Will you marry me?"