Lora: Part II

Stephanie and I find ourselves sitting on our suitcases by the sidewalk, joining the crowd of college students who have taken up similar positions at the edge of the campus park. We're all eagerly waiting to escape for the weekend.

"When did he say he'll come?" Stephanie sighs, lighting a cigarette.

"He said he'll be here in fifteen minutes."

"Oh, so that means thirty?"

"Probably."

Stephanie lets out another sigh. "I can't believe I agreed to come anyway..."

"Yeah, you had such fantastic plans for your weekend, like being a grumpy bitch all by yourself."

"Wow, something bothering you, Lora?"

"Is something bothering me? It's been three days of you moping around without a word about what happened with John."

"Why are you so sure something happened?"

"Because I know you. And Damien says he's never seen John like this. The only reason we even thought of this trip is because the three of you are in some secret fight."

"Who's the three of us?"

"You, John, Cassie. Something happened, and you're not telling."

"I have no fucking clue what's going on with Cassie. You can be certain about that." Stephanie angrily finishes her cigarette. I let out a soft sigh and place a hand on her shoulder.

"Stephanie, we've been best friends since fourth grade. I can tell when something's bothering you. And I can tell this is big."

"I did something stupid..." She says, her voice trembling on the brink of tears.

"It's okay. Just tell me."

"I slept with John... and then I left."

"Why did you leave?"

"I don't know. I felt so empowered and yet so powerless at the same time. It's like I lost myself completely..." She sniffs, lifts her chin, and lets her eyelids flutter to dry the tears before they fall.

"Stephanie... you don't have to do that when you're not wearing makeup..."

"It's just a habit." Stephanie breaks down, whimpering, and rests her forehead on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you anything. I was just too confused and-"

I cut her off with a tight hug. "It's fine, you idiot."

Stephanie's tearful sobbing transitions into laughter. "Why am I so stupid, Lora?"

"Because you've been stewing in self-doubt for three days instead of talking to me?"

"I know... but I'm still trying to understand what happened..."

"Stephanie, you have to tell me already. You're making me nervous." My fingers tighten slightly around her shoulders.

"It's nothing that should make you nervous. Just me messing up again."

"Okay, less vague complaining and more details."

"It's been going on since high school, Lora. My relationship with his family has become so intense over the years... I couldn't just walk away like nothing happened, especially considering how frightening it was with him..."

"What did he do that scared you?" I ask, growing increasingly worried.

"I don't know exactly what he did. Just being around him, talking to him, touching him... it changes me. I feel incredible and powerful when I'm with him. I even got into a physical altercation with Cassie."

"You got into a fight with Cassie?" My eyes widen. Engaging in physical fights with Cassie seems like a surefire way to land someone a hefty life insurance payout.

"Yeah, I did... but John took a punch for me."

"And you left him after that?"

"Yes!" Stephanie breaks down once more. "Then I came back. Then we showered together and had the most amazing sex of my life. And then I left again."

"Why, Stephanie? Why did you leave if he made you feel so good?"

"It was too good! I can't afford to lose something like that. No way in hell, it would drive me insane."

"I think it already has," I say, and we both burst into laughter.