Cassie: Part II

I watch in disgust as Stephanie climbs on John and starts kissing his neck. Thankfully, he's not as handsy with her as usual. I look away from the two of them, and see Jessica glaring - her gaze pierced at John.

I look over again, and to my surprise, I catch his eyes staring back into hers. Something's going on...

Stephanie whispers something in John's ear, pressing to him close. She gets up with a smile, and he and follows her a moment later. Her eyes meet mine for a moment as she walks past me. What's Stephanie playing at now?

"One day I'm gonna kill that bitch." Jessica breathes out through her nostrils.

"That's extreme..." I answer. It feels odd to be on the calming side.

"Like you wouldn't do the same if she was all over your man."

"Isn't Roger your man?" I raise an eyebrow at her, puffing on the spliff.

"Fuck off." She scowls, lighting a cigarette.

"What's your game here Jessica, what do you really want?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

"Not really, I usually get twisted minds, but you're all over the place."

"Tell me when you figure it out, yeah?" She sighs out smoke, leaning back against the sunbed.

"I will." I say, handing her the spliff. Jessica puts out the cigarette, and takes it to her lips instead.

"Maybe your therapist can help..." Jessica smirks at me, puffing gently.

"He's not taking anymore female clients." I give her a look that makes it clear I'm not kidding.

"That must be good for business." She replies, and I shrug.

"Fuck his business. I got everything he needs."

"You're priceless." She laughs.

"I know right? Think how positive it would be for young girls if I had half as many fans as you?"

"Dream on Cassie." Jessica laughs louder, and so do I. She passes me the spliff back.

"So what it's like, dating your therapist?"

"Honestly, it's the first relationship I feel like I'm with someone who's there for me. You know what I mean?"

"Yeah... I think I do." Her eyes seem to look elsewhere as her stare gets blank.

"Why are you marrying my father, Jessica?"

"Do you believe in soulmates, Cassie?"

"Oh not you too."

Where have I heard this line before? I ask myself, and the memory comes back to me.

The day after John came back, out here on the sunbeds, I asked him why he came back home.

"Do you believe in soulmates, Cassie?" He asked me and puffed.

I go back the present, my eyes narrowing at Jessica. "What really happened between you and John?"

Her lips tighten.