An Inconvenient Frienemy - 2 - Hanna POV - Snapped

"I don't miss him. Now you're the one making up stories."

Jieun frowned, pouting her bottom lip. She was really adorable when she did that, and I could never copy it.

It was probably one of the many things Jungkook liked about her.

"Tae came looking for Jungkook," Jieun said. "I think they might get into a real fight someday."

I sighed in longing. I'd love to see Tae kick his ass. Jungkook begging for forgiveness and telling me that he wished he could take back everything he said and did over the last year. But it would never happen.

He was obviously much happier now.

"So what?" I asked, shrugging.

She sighed. "You know if Tae gets one more mark on his record, they'll expel him, right? Can't you just ignore Jungkook if he bothers you that much?"

I tapped my fingers against the lunch table. Yeah, Tae would get expelled. And Jungkook would have a mark on his record. He was always so adamant to keep his records clean for some reason or another. He just had to be perfect in every way, didn't he? There was something odd about it though.

"I'm not going back home," he used to say. "Ever, if I have the option."

He never told me why. All I knew was that if he got marked down, then he had to go back.

I popped some grapes in my mouth, not replying.

"Excuse me, Jieun?" a good looking guy said, approaching our table. I'd seen him a couple of times around school, but I didn't know his name.

He didn't say hi to me. He was too busy smiling at Jieun.

"Oh, hello, Jungwoo!" she said, tucking her hair behind her ear. "How are you today? Did your chemistry test go well?"

He smiled, obviously touched she remembered the detail. "Of course. Your notes were quite the contribution to my success."

She put a hand over her mouth and smiled. Always the lady. I couldn't get mad at her for it though. She was just a well-bred princess.

Unlike myself.

"I was wondering if you had an escort for this weekend's formal?" he asked.

She nodded. "Yes, I've been honored with a wonderful escort that evening. How about yourself? Have you swept a woman off her feet for the social yet?"

His face dropped slightly. "Not yet, but my prospects are hopeful. I wouldn't suppose you'd honor me with a dance that night?"

"I would love that! Consider it done."

His eyes lit up so bright that I thought his ears would flutter. "Fantastic."

With a smile, he walked away. I frowned.

"You have a date?" I asked.

She put her finger to her lips. "Not officially."

"Ohhh..." I teased. "Waiting for someone special?"

She pressed her lips together to hold back a smile. I smiled with her, hiding the ache in my stomach.

She was waiting for Jungkook to ask her.

He had liked her for a long time. No matter how I tried to deter it, I couldn't separate them. It wasn't a bad thing, I guess. There were worse people Jungkook could have liked... but... there was just the same constant thought nagging the back of my head.

My ex-best friend and my current best friend liked each other more than they liked me. And sooner or later, they'd both leave me.

Jungkook already had.