Chapter 40 - Jimin POV - Search

I gripped the car seat, telling myself not to jump out the door and run for it. I couldn't handle being in the car any more.

I needed to find her.

"She hasn't moved in awhile." Chanyeol said, watching the monitor on his phone.

I felt the blood rush to my stomach.

"That doesn't mean she's dead, Jimin." Jungkook said, grabbing my arm. "It just means she hasn't moved. Keep your head straight."

I rubbed my face with both my hands. I couldn't focus. My eyes were blurry. I was dizzy with panic and nauseous with worry.

And worse, I was helpless.

The driver took us down to one of the under-developed parts of the city. I wasn't sure if this place was destroyed before or after the riots, but it wasn't a place I liked to consider as part of my kingdom.

"This is the spot," Chanyeol said to the driver.

I turned my head to look out the window, to the empty alleyway Chanyeol was pointing to.

I jumped out before the car stopped. I could faintly hear Jungkook call for me, but I wasn't interested in turning around. I ran down the alley. I didn't see anybody. Not a single person. The alley was completely empty. But she had to be here...

A rough hand grabbed me and pulled me back. "Could you NOT run into a bad neighborhood by yourself when there are riots happening? I know you're stupid, but this is a new level."

"I don't see her," I replied, ignoring him. "Where is she? Are you sure the device said that she's here?"

Chanyeol didn't answer. He just stared at the device. After a moment, he brought his hand up and pointed to his right. I followed his hand, but didn't see anything. He went ahead of me, looking around the street.

He froze.

"Prince Jungkook..." he said, pointing.

We both ran beside him, following his gaze.

Off the curb were Y/N's shoes. Covered in blood.

I dropped to my ankles on the sidewalk, trembling. Jungkook's hand came to my shoulder.

"There isn't a body," he assured me.

Before I could even come up with a reply, sirens filled my eardrums. I looked up to see a police car and ambulance pull up beside us.

An officer stepped out of the car, then stopped when he saw us. "Your Highnesses?" He walked over, bowing to both of us. "What brings you to this side of the city? It's dangerous for you here."

Jungkook spoke for me. I couldn't find my tongue.

"The queen's gone missing," he said. "We found her shoes here."

Jungkook pointed. The officer leaned down over the shoes, taking a careful look over them. I almost told him to stop looking. I didn't want him to deduce anything. I didn't want him to tell me that Y/N was... That she was...

"We got word from the chief that there has been an issue." the officer said. "We weren't put on the case, but since I'm here, I'll be honored to help."

"Thank you," Jungkook said.

The officer stopped for a moment, thinking. "I was called here, however, to pick up a dead body."

I almost threw up at the word. "Body? Where?"

He nodded towards the warehouse, opening his mouth to say something else. I turned and ran inside before he could.