38.

EBONY'S POV

I have no idea how long I've been here now, and I don't even know where here is, but it feels like an eternity of nothing. An eternity of sitting in the dark by myself feeling nothing. No sadness, no anger, no fear...no memory of anything but darkness and loneliness and yet it felt completely normal and safe. Safe? A word I wasn't sure the meaning of but was told by the voice that I was.

"You are safe here. Not outside. The creatures will kill you. The creature known as Carter will find you and take you away from me. You are not safe out there. Neither of you is safe out there without me. You will both be destroyed by the creature known as Carter, and I can not have any harm come to you or our baby.."

I looked down at my growing baby bump and rubbed it softly. "No one is going to hurt you my little one. No one."

———————

CARTER'S POV

It has been six months now, and we have nothing. We have no clue where the darkness is hiding Ebony, and I'm fucken tired of cracking skulls and breaking bones to get nothing. No one has any idea where this place is, and if they do, they are willing to take it to the grave with them. So they are useless to me. I've tried everything I can think of and even a few things even I know are over the line and still nothing. I'm no closer to my wife than I was when she was taken. I'm just tired, broken and lost and I know I have to do the one thing I promised myself I would never do and I hated myself because I knew what it was going to cost me.

"I'm not okay with this boss," Jake said nervously in front of me. "I know we've been searching for Ebony for months now and we still have no idea where she is but I..."

"I'm not discussing this again, Jacob," I said, pulling out the book of the devil. "It's time, and if you don't want to be a part of this then I suggest you fucking leave!" I yelled at him. "I made Ebony a promise, and I intend to keep it." I looked back down at the book. "This is my only chance to find her again."

"But you can't call on the devil Boss. We've tried, and he doesn't listen..."

"He will listen this time," I said flicking through the pages of the book. "This time, he will listen for sure."

"Why? What's different now?" Jake said, shrugging.

"I'm making him a trade," I said sternly tapping on the page I needed. "I'm going to call him and offer him me."

"Boss? No. You can't do what I think you are going to do.."

"I don't remember asking for your permission, Jacob."

"Boss, you can't do this. Please, don't do this." Jacob said, closing the book of the Devil. "We will find her on our own. I know this is hard, and I know we have tried everything, but we can't give up. I won't let you give up. There has to be a way..."

"There isn't Jacob. There is nothing we can do without the help of the devil. I refuse to let any of you pay the price for my fuck up. I need to end this my way. Let me do this."

He was about to protest but stopped himself. "What do you need from me?"

"You know something, Jacob?" I smiled.

"What, boss?" He sighed.

"You annoy me like no other being on the planet, but you are the most loyal friend I have, and I'm not going to lie, that saddens me a little." I smiled, looking up from the book. "Thank you."

Jacob looked at me strangely as if he didn't quite know how to react. "You're welcome?" He raised his eyebrow at me. "You're not going to hurt me again, are you?"