16 | Boom

SIXTEEN - Boom

It was a riot.

I had never seen one in my life and what I witnessed that day... I was lost, confused and scared shitless.

Everything happened so fast. One moment Collin was telling me about what the inmates were planning and how the whole thing was just a distraction and next...

Booooommm!

There was an explosion on the south side of the penitentiary, letting an angry red-yellow fire swamped the area. Alarms instantaneously blared their mouths, letting out a loud screech. Black smoke engulfed the cloudless blue sky. There was utter and total chaos. My ears were ringing from the annoying sound of the warning bell.

A fight broke out amongst one of the rival gangs. Some inmates started running for their lives. The yard was covered in guards trying to stop the fights. Suddenly the inmates stopped fighting amongst each other and attacked the guards. There were shouts, cries, punches being thrown, pain filled grunts.

My mind was frozen, unable to conceive nor focus on anything for more than five seconds. There was so much happening, I couldn't make sense of what.

One moment it was quiet and calm and the next... everything was burning, inmates fighting, guards trying to stop them.

Someone shook me out of my stupid comatose stupor in a panicky voice. "Xander dammit." The person yelled angrily, shaking my body. "Snap out now. There's no time for that. Focus!" It was my brother.

"Collin?" I whispered, lost.

"Yes. It's me. Breath." He told me and I released a big chunk of air I didn't know I was holding. That's where everything fell into place and the pandemonium shit my eyes were gazing at left me mind-boggled and afraid for my life. "Now, do you remember where you are?"

"Ye—Yeah." My voice cracked. "What the fuck is happening?"

When Roxy and Collin told me they were planning something, this wasn't remotely close to what I was expecting.

"The escape slash whatever they are trying to camouflage it with is happening earlier than we planned Xander. Do you know what that means?" He asked me.

"That my time is up?" I asked unsurely.

"Yes. We don't have time left." He said ducking from an approaching brick or whatever jumping over a burning plank.

We were moving, running to God knew where and I wasn't aware of it. "Be careful and try to be inconspicuous as possible buddy." He muttered, pulling me along. There's an explosion behind us again, literally shaking the ground we were walking—running—on as we entered a hidden door which seemed to be isolated.

"And how the fuck do you expect me to do that? Haven't you seen this fucking place?" I grunted, panting heavily as we hid behind a wall.

He just grunted out a response I totally didn't hear before he started pulling me again.

"And where the fuck are we going?" I asked.

"Somewhere safe where we can finish our conversation." He answered.

"Have you fucking lost a brain cell or two?" I hissed.