It doesn't seem like the entity has noticed them. Astrid wants to ask what the hell that thing is, but her mouth is frozen shut. 'We need to turn around!' is the only thought that enters her mind.

The Sheriff takes a quivering breath and pulls them around a corner. Astrid's eyes remain fixed on the creature until it disappears behind a wall.

As soon as the entity is out of sight, Astrid whispers, "What. The hell. Was that?!"

The Sheriff snaps, "How should we know?! Be quiet!"

Their march through the cloud feels like it takes half an eternity, but the fog finally begins to thin as they sneak between the industrial buildings.

Stepping out of it is like stepping out of a dungeon. The air instantly feels a dozen degrees warmer and the sun makes everything glow. After the bleak and lifeless darkness of the fog, the world looks vibrant and alive. The crushing dread disappears, leaving Astrid feeling lighter than ever before. She is still panting and her clothes are drenched in sweat, but the darkness is behind them.

"All right. That's that..." the Sheriff whispers. "Now let's get that tractor."

The large industrial buildings provide good cover and hide their approach.

They can see the Dreischell factory building across the road. The main entrance consists of a large glass façade that provides them with excellent vision of the lobby within. Without any electric lights, half of the large room is illuminated by the sun, while the rest lies in ominous twilight. There's not a single soul in sight and the doors are closed, but a smashed glass panel shows how the thieves got inside. The glass shards have been cleaned up.

As soon as the Sheriff gives the order, they sprint across the street. Fynn keeps his rifle trained on the second-floor windows, while Astrid and the Sheriff make sure no one appears in the lobby. They slow down right before entering the hole.

There is something unsettling about the quiet inside that reminds Astrid of the ominous silence of the fog. They know the thieves are somewhere inside, but they don't know where. Astrid slows her fast and shallow breaths, completely filling her lungs before exhaling. 'Stay calm.'

The Sheriff leads the group along the wall. They are about to head upstairs, when they hear a loud clatter from a nearby door, along with muffled voices. A smile creeps across the Sheriff's face.

They sneak to the door.

The Sheriff takes position next to it, her gun at the ready. More or less understanding what she wants to do, Astrid takes position on the other side, while Fynn stands broad legged in front of the door.

The Sheriff reaches for the handle, and Astrid cocks the hammer of her revolver with a quiet click.

As the elf's hand is about to reach the door handle, they hear footsteps inside. A muffled voice says something incomprehensible, and a moment later, the handle is pulled down.

Fynn tenses, his finger ready to pull the trigger of his shotgun barrel. Astrid is ready to burst into the room, guns blazing. Her heart is pounding and her focus is on nothing but the gun and the door.

Whoever's on the other side of the door pulls it open, and for a split second, he stares down the barrels of Fynn's gun before Fynn pulls the trigger. The shotgun barrel unleashes a cloud of soft steel. The weapon's furious roar rings in Astrid's ears, while the force of the shot kills the man instantly and throws him back into the room. Astrid steps through the door first, her pistol raised and ready to shoot.

Through the door, she sees a few red shapes. She steps left to allow the others to enter, and while she does so, she pulls the trigger. The loud shot adds to the ringing in her ears and makes her close her eyes. Screams and the sounds of people moving fill the room. While Astrid opens her eyes again, she hears the Sheriff yell, "Cease fire! Cease fire!"