Chapter 24 A hero's death.

Chapter 24.

A Hero's death.

Abbie watched the mirror.   She noticed that by 3/4 of the way towards the hill the diamond shape had gone.

Only five men left.   Three formed a point cutting through the crowded battle while two protected  the rear.

A triangle that was getting swamped by the surrounding army.

Five men became four which soon became three.

Somehow against all reason they survived to within yards  of the edge of the battlefield.

Almost there. 

Another red branch knight fell and the army swarmed the last two men.

It was hard for Abbie to make out where they were. Then she spied them just at the edge. 

One was killed,  but the other managed to brake out off the battlefield and run up the hill towards his prey.

The traitor.

Everyone seemed to freeze amazed at the will and determination of this mighty warrior to get its prey.

Everyone froze that is  but Abbie noticed One Eye didn't.

"For my father!"

He roared and flung the magic spear at the charging hero. 

The hero dived out of the path of the spear and continued running towards One eye. Sword in hand he jumped up ready to swing and cut the head off the traitor. 

"Nooo!" cried Abbie as she watched the spear piercing his back and coming out of  his chest. 

The magic spear which had flown past him had turned round in mid air and would not stop until it found its target.

He was dead by the time his body hit the ground face down. 

A roar rose up.  The battle was over.

Connoughts foes lay dead.

One Eye jumped off his horse and grabbed his axe which he carried on his back.

He walked proudly and slowly over to the fallen hero. He wanted to saviour every moment of his victory.

He pulled the spear out of his kill.

A Connaught warrior tall wearing his green helmet started walking up the hill  carrying the fallen red branch flag. 

A  tropie for his victorious queen thought One Eye. It was time for him to claim his tropie.

The head of Cu Culainn he will carry it proudly back on top of his great spear.

He turned round his kill onto its back and raised his axe ready to chop Cu Culainn's head off. But the face stirring up at him was not that of Cu Culainn.

"Lost your head?"  Asked the warrior in the green helmet and shoved the point of the red branch flag into One Eyes chest and heart. 

One Eye fell to the ground the flag sticking out of his chest.

He stirred at the warrior in the green helmet.

Cu Culainn stirred back at him.  One Eye's last thought was ......how??

------------------------------------

Next update Sunday

Chapter 25  ......how??