Chapter 9 March of the Red Branch Knights

Chapter 9.

March of the red branch knights.

Cu Culainn raised his hurl and shield.

Stood on a table and addressed his men.

"Take up your weapons you hooligans we have an enemy who want to pick a fight with us. I guess their entitled to make a mistake-!" He smiled.

"-Shame its gonna be their LAST!"

Cu Culainn roared and the warriors laughed and obeyed.

"Kiss your loved one or someone else's good bye. We march out now!"

The warriors moved out glad to have orders to follow.

One got slapped by a maid trying to take Cu Culainn's joke to far.

The crows flew onto the table beside Catbad.

"Fly to medbs camp. See if you can find out who this traitor is?" He said.

The crows did not move.

"The Druid who did this to you. Dwells in a keep in the land of Alba. Soon you will be free. Now go!"

The ravens flew out of a window.

"Aren"t they to dangerous to set free?" Abbie asked.

Catbad looked angry.

"They did not make the war lust in man. The war lust in man made them. Why should they be punished for what lies in the heart of men."

Abbie smiled sweetly and Catbad's anger broke.

"Abbie your gonna be the death of me."

He smiled and they both made their way out with Cu Culainn and Bran.

Outside the air was cold and sky grey.

Already the red branch knights were marching in a long line. Heading to their battle.

"Tomorrow queen Medb attacks."

Catbad told as they stopped and watched the warriors and chariots march by.

"That gives us no time at all."

"This spear of destiny." Said Abbie. "Is this the 'small task' I'm suppose to do?"

"Only the bearer of the sun sheild could find the crown of Tara which is how Cu culainn found you and only the bearer of the crown can find The spear of destiny-." Answered Catbad and continued.

"-Once we have all three. I will have the power to send you back. Cu Culainn will be made high king and a golden age of peace will reign over Ireland."

He paused his mood went cold.

"But if Queen Medb stops us her greed and envy will unleash a plague that will wipe out all of Ireland and spread to all corners of this world."

"So no pressure then." Sighed Abbie.

"Have no fear little queen I will stay by your side!"

Promised Cu Culainn.

"No." Said Catbad. " You must go now with your men and stop Medbs army. Challenge them to single combat, She has no warrior your match. Buy us time. So Abbie can return with the spear."

"You can't send her on her own!"

Warned Cu Culainn.

"I'm afraid we have no choice!" Catbad sighed. "Only the bearer of the crown alone can find the spear of destiny. Now go Cu Culainn buy us that precious time"

"Very well" Cu Culainn agreed. "Bran you stay here protect Abbie."

The dog moved to Abbie's side.

"There's no need-" began Catbad.

"The dog stays!" Ordered Cu Culainn.

"Or I stay!"

"Very well let the dog stay." Sighed Catbad.

Cu Culainn leaped onto a passing chariot and turned shouting.

" Don't worry little queen if you die I will have them sing great ballads about you!"

"Thanks!" Abbie shouted back.

" You know what you can do with your 'great ballads!"

Cu Culainn laughed and waved his hurl as the chariot rode away.

Abbie turned to Catbad.

"Where am I suppose to look

For this magic spear on E bay?"

Abbie moaned.

"No you just go through my true mirror. It will take you right to the spear of destiny and being you back." Said Catbad.

"We need the mirror to find this spear?"

Abbie asked hoping the answer is no.

"Yes. Only way. Why?"

Abbie gave Cu Culainn a long angry glare as he rode away on the chariot.

He just waved his hurl and smiled good bye to her.

Abbie felt cold as she noticed three ravens following Cu Culainn's chariot.

--------------------------------

Please vote.  Your votes matter. Thank you.