Chapter 14 A prayer answered

Chapter 14

A prayer answered.

Sunlight pouring into her bedroom woke Abbie up.

She could feel the comfort of her bed.

Mattress.

Blanket and pillow.

The dream was over.

She breathed deep and smelt clean.

Abbie Slowly opened her eyes. Her mum stood by her bed. She smiled.

Bran jumped up on the bed.

She smiled at him her mum hushed him off the bed.

Wait.

Bran wasn't he from her dream?

This was not her bedroom.

Also the woman fussing round was not her mother.

The sunlight was pouring in from a hole in the roof. The walls looked like they were made out of solid rock.

She was in a cave.

The walls painted white. Behind the woman was a small wooden door.

"Welcome back little sister!" Smiled the woman who was older than her mother.

"Take it easy you have had a bad concussion."

"The ship!" Cried Abbie jumping up in the bed.

"It's ok sister!" She gently placed Abbie back onto her pillow. "They managed to escape that place of hell."

"It was Pompeii wasn't it?" Abbie said. "This is the Roman Empire."

"This 'Empire' is in shock.

Since gods wrapt on Pompeii and Herculaneum, nothing else has been spoken about." She said while fixing Abbies bed cloths.

"Rome itself is still getting tremors. This is the beginning of the end of the world!"

The wooden door opened.

"Your suppose to be comforting her not scaring her to death!" Said the old man from the boat stepping in.

"I brought soup." He smiled holding up a bowl.

"It's no good over there!" The woman told him. "Best you feed her. I've a new. ' small ' grotto to get right."

She brushed past him.

"It's not small." He smiled at her. "It's cosy."

"Then go write a letter to the Romans thanking them for exiling us to this cosy grotto in pathos." With that she was out the door.

Banging it behind her.

He sat down beside Abbie. Placed a pillow behind her so she was sitting up and fed her soup.

Abbie thought it was the nicest soup she ever had. There was a spice in it that made her tongue tingle.

"you were exiled here?" Abbie asked and added. "Then you were the prisoner on the ship!"

"That's right. They were taking me prisoner from Rome to here. The Greek island Pathos. When the ship got stranded by that volcano."

He fed her more soup. She spat it out. Splashing him. "Hey what's the matter?"

"Your a cannabal I'm not eating THAT!" She pushed the bowl away.

"A cannabal? Where did you hear that nonsense?" He said.

"The Captain told me!" She answered. " The gods want you killed and your a cannibal."

He began to laugh.

"I'm a christen, like you. That is why I was banished here. I believe in the one true god so you can see why the roman captain would think his gods want me killed."

"Christen? But why would he call you a cannabal?" Abbie asked.

"Romans think Christens are cannabals because at our mass we eat the body and blood of our Christ. They think we eat human flesh."

He lifted a spoonful of soup. "It's chicken." He smiled. Abbie took the soup feeling stupid.

"Now!" He said. "Tell me your story just where do you come from?"

Abbie began telling him all that had happened to her she was surprised that nothing in her story seemed to shock him. He listened like a man who had heard a stranger tale or lived through worse.

"So you want to find this spear of destiny?" He said.

She finished the soup. He put the empty bowl down.

"No." She answered. "I just want to go home that's all I want ."

Tears were in her eyes. " That stupid spear is probably buried in Pompeii and I'm trapped here because I dreamt about going on stupid adventures. "

She wiped the tears from her eyes.

"How long have I been here?"

"You were knocked out on the ship five days ago."

Abbie looked shocked.

"You were lucky. That iron band on your head took most of the blows from the rocks.

"Otherwise, You would be dead ."

"Five days!" She started to get out of bed. "I'm so late! Cu Culainn could be killed by now!"

"Easy little sister." The old man said stopping her getting up. "This magic mirror it sounds like some kind of doorway in time. Takes you from one time to another. Right!" He asked.

"Right" she answered.

"Well then. It doesn't matter how long you spend here."

He got up and moved over to a cupboard.

"When it appears again it will take you back to the right time to save Cu Culainn."

"If it appears again." Sighed Abbie.

"And it could take me years, if at all to find that spear."

"It will appear again ." He said opening the door to the cupboard and reaching in .

"And you will have your spear."

He turned and pulled out an iron spear head one foot or so.

"I believe this is what you are looking for." He smiled.

"Are you sure?" Abbie asked. "It doesn't look..... special"

"God has sent you to me and this is the spear of destiny." He said looking down holding it as if it was precious.

"This spear head. It was used to pierce the side of my lord Jesus as he hung from the cross."

"How do you know?" Abbie stirred at the spear doubtful.

"Oh. I know because I was there. Abbie." He said.

Abbie looked into his smiling eyes.

"My name is John and I am the last of his apostles."

--------------------------------------------

Please vote.  Your votes matter. Thank you