Chapter 23 Diamonds are not forever.

Chapter 23

Diamonds are not forever.

He was pulled backwards into the air.

But unlike his fellow men Cu Culainn twisted round fast in the air and landed on his feet facing the lake and the giant who hooked him.

" You want me." Cu Culainn smiled into the face of the giant and threw down his sword and sheild.

"You got me!"

He ran not away but towards the giant in the lake. The rope went slack.

The giant tried to pull the rope tight. But cu Culainn moved to fast.

He placed his dagger in his mouth and dived into the lake.

He swam cutting through the water straight towards the now frantic giant who couldn't get the slack out of his rope.

The monster gave up on his rope as Cu Culainn got close to arms reach of him.

He dropped the rope and raised his club.

He stuck with all his force at Cu Culainn but in that instant Cu Culainn dived under.

The club only hit water.

Cu Culainn dagger now in hand was underwater at the giants feet.

Where he wanted to be.

He slit the giants Achilles' tendon behind its ankle.

It snapped.

The giant cried in pain and tried to grab the savage under the water.

Cu Culainn slit the other tendon.

The giant unable to stand collapsed into the water to the waiting Cu Culainn.

Cu Culainn repeatedly stabbed the giant over and over with quick short jabs until the giant stopped screaming and moving.

He swam to the shallows and stood up.

The rest of the giants had moved onto the land fighting along side the connought men.

The red branch knights were down to less than a dozen men trapped defending a corner of the battle field .

It was now a massacre.

Cu Culainn picked up his shield and sword off the ground and ran to his men killing as he went.

He joined them ready to die by his comrades side.

As he fought it was then he saw One Eye across the battle field on top of a hill on horseback.

Cu Culainn's heart quickened.

Reinforcements.

Then he noticed the formenian king beside One Eye and queen Medb in a chariot the other side. The three Gazed with glee at the massacre of the red branch.

The traitor cu culainn thought.

Anger consumed him. If he was gonna die then that traitor is coming with him.

"Diamond formation! We are going after our traitor!"

Ordered Cu Culainn pointing to One Eye on the hill.

If his comrades were puzzled by his order they did not show it. They formed a thight diamond shape four men at each side.

Cu Culainn at the tip.

"Move to the hill!"

He ordered and the diamond moved cutting into the crowded dence Connaught army.

Cu Culainn at the diamond tip cutting and killing a path in a frenzy while the rest in the diamond defended his back.

At first they were making great progress getting half way towards the hill.

Towards their traitor.

Then Cu Culainn heard his first man in the diamond drop. He was soon joined by a second.

"Stay tight. Keep moving!"

He roared and in his head he prayed.

"Danu let this diamond hold just until we reach that hill. If it is your will to take us before then."

"Hide."

"I will be coming for you!"

Cu Culainn felt himself been pulled back into the centre of the diamond by one of his men who was holding a green Connaught helmet and cloak.

Meanwhile One eye sat uneasy on his horse gazing down at the diamond which to his surprise had made it half way across the battlefield.

"Your army is Pitiful queen medb. They can't protect us from a handful of men!"

"Oh. I don't think it's us their after."

Smiled queen medb.

"They only want you."

The formenian king smiled in agreement.

One eye gripped his new spear pole with the 'Spear of destiny' head shining on its top.

Keep coming Cu Culainn. My fathers revenge is waiting for you.

----------------------------------------

Next update Friday.

Chapter 24. A Heros death.