❀ Rei x Hanahaki-Diseased Reader ❀

—Hanahaki Disease 花吐き病
is a fictitious illness born from one-sided love, where the patient throws up & coughs up flower petals when they suffer from unrequited love.
-The only ways for the disease to be "cured" is if, the said person returns the feelings of love or the infection may also be removed through surgery however, the feelings disappear along with the petals.

Dang gang gang, I just LOVE dark concepts like this. I've been through some tough unrequited loves, so to share my suffering, here are flowers I imagine for Reader to cough up when suffering from the Hanahaki Disease according to their Free! lover of choice, starting with Rei. I plan to write out Hanahaki Disease scenarios for all of the main characters in Free! so just sit tight for now.
Not all of these scenarios will have a happy ending, just warning you loves.

—————————————
ReiClematis

As one of the top students in the class, it was inevitable that Rei would become a tutor

As one of the top students in the class, it was inevitable that Rei would become a tutor. You are highly intelligent as well, actually. However, you couldn't control the spill of soft violet petals from your throat when he was assigned to tutor a classmate whose grades were struggling in that particular class.
Because of this, Rei had to spend less time with you, to make room to tutor the struggling classmate. You trusted Rei, but still had some lingering doubts. Rei was no doubt, a teacher's pet. And when asked to tutor a struggling student, Rei just couldn't refuse. To you he was a very nice person, but sometimes, he was just a little too nice. A pushover, or a doormat, as some people would call it. He just didn't know how to say no to certain people at certain times. At first, you didn't allow yourself to be phased by this.
"Alright calm down. He's the top student in that class anyway, of course he'd be the one to be assigned to tutor." you thought to yourself, trying to keep you calm about this.
But eventually, these requested tutoring sessions significantly cut into the personal time you would normally spend with Rei together alone especially. This caused you to spend less and less time together. There were even days where the only communication you would have with Rei was late at night over text, since you didn't dare want to bother him, when he always clearly seemed busy.

"He's probably already frustrated to be bothered with this student, I shouldn't make it worse and bother him more."

One day, you purposely walked into the library to turn in a form, not even expecting to see them there, but there they were. Rei and the struggling student sat at a library table, laughing together. Neither one initially noticed your presence until you quickly handed the librarian the form, and briskly walked out as petals threatened to spill from your aching throat.
Rei paused and heard the tone of your familiar cough. He could've sworn he saw a brief blur of your (Hair Color) hair exit the library. His eyes then focused on the soft violet petals that fell by the door as you left.
Walking out with your hand over your mouth, you tried to block the spill of petals, but they just kept coming. For the past month, you weren't able to spend much time alone with Rei. Eventually you made it to the back of the building, coughing up a good amount of clematis petals as you leaned against the wall to support your fatigued body. Meanwhile, Rei's senses came into play, as he momentarily left the other student to follow the trail of purple petals, that directly led himself back to you.
"Y/N?" He called out, seeing you leaned up against the wall, tears spilling from your (Eye Color) eyes, and purple clematis petals scattered all over your shirt, then his eyes darted to the small pile of petals at your feet.

"Y/N-san! Are you okay? What happened?" He exclaimed, racing over to help you. You turned to the side and coughed out more petals, before he forcefully turned you to face him. He gently put his hand under your chin to tilt your head up to look him in the eye.

"The Hanahaki Disease...
...you gave me the Hanahaki Disease." you managed to say, feeling more petals line your throat. Rei wasn't an idiot, he knew of the disease, but never believed it to be real until the only person the ever truly loved suffered from it before his very eyes. He opened his mouth to say something, but you fought the petals in your throat for one last point.
"I didn't want to bring this up because I didn't want to bother you but you keep ditching me and our plans to spend time to tutor them!
I understand that the teacher requests you to do this because your that top student of that class, but that doesn't mean you actually have to play teachers pet and accept every single time!"
Rei realized what he had done and how much he made you suffer. He not only left you lonely, but he let you suffer from this sorrowful illness.

You then felt his lips against yours, and suddenly, the petals in your throat were gone, and the vines around your lungs disappeared.
"Y/N, I'm sorry. I know it's hard for me to say no to people, but I will never deny your feelings ever. I'm sorry I made you suffer through all of this, just because of me. I don't want to be close to losing you, not like this." said Rei, pulling you into a hug. You wanted to feel sorry for him, but this time you felt sorry for yourself. You were glad Rei realized that it was his fault, but were even more glad that you got to have him back again.

"R-Rei, I..." you began, but heard him sob into your shoulder, and felt wet drops on the right side of your shirt.

"Alright my love, you learned your lesson. I guess." You thought to yourself in relief, a broken smile on your face, as you continued to let Rei cry himself out on your shoulder, stroking his dark blue hair.

——————————————————
aaaaAAAAaa I know, this was painful for me to write too. Y'all already know where my heart lies. I love Rei way too much and I just had to give home the "best" ending. I couldn't do him like that and write another sad scenario about my love. LMAO I already wrote an entire book about that ♥︎

🅘 🅝 🅕 🅞 ʕʔ
💌 Instagram|Twitch|YouTube: @choba_tea
💌 (anime) Instagram: @choba.bot