Prologue

Touka sat in her apartment, her knees pulled up tightly to her chest. She sighed as she stared blankly out the window and onto the porch, where a small bird sat. Touka had been afraid of birds almost all her life, yet she still watched it carefully.

It was a rainy day in Tokyo, and the little bird was looking for a place to stay dry. Touka didn't dare move, too afraid to even approach the bird.

She sighed as she heard three loud knocks on her door. Touka had been off of work today, since she wasn't feeling very well.

Quickly, she ran up to answer the door, finding Kaneki standing with a cup of hot coffee and a wrapped parcel in both hands.

Touka gave him a weird look, before side stepping to let him through the small doorway. For a moment, Kaneki was speechless. He always seemed to be like this around Touka. He didn't know why. Touka cleared her throat, as to get Kaneki's attention once more. Kaneki came out of his daze, finally stepping into the apartment and placing the severed human arm and coffee on the living room table.

"I... Uh, brought up some food for you.. You know, if you wanted it..."

Kaneki trailed off, his arm going straight to the back of his neck. Touka almost smiled. Almost.

"Oh...uh, thanks, Kaneki."

Touka said, playing with her fingers nervously. She secretly had a thing for Kaneki, but never showed it. That was why she always acted like she hated him. She never liked having feelings for anyone, but she had learned that the hard way. She trusted her brother, and he abandoned her for the Trees'.

She gestured to the small sofa, and sat down herself.

"Please, take a seat."

Touka looked back out to the porch, the bird still sat in the same exact place. Kaneki also turned his attention to the bird, realizing it's crisis.

"It's going to get all wet. I'll bring it in."

Touka panicked mentally, but decided to keep her cool. It was just a bird, anyway.

A bird that scared the crap out of her, that is.

Kaneki calmly walked out onto the porch, not caring whether or not he got wet. He gently picked up the bird and brought it back in, the bird chirping happily as it sat tightly on his index finger. Kaneki shut the door, and brought the bird over to the living area,where he held the bird out for Touka to take. She just sat there. Kaneki was confused.

"What's wrong?"

He asked, panicking that he had done something wrong. Touka's expression immediately turned softer, and gulped. She had to at least hold a bird once.

Touka held her hand out as did Kaneki, and the bird started moving closer to Touka's finger. The bird was just about to take place on Her finger when she yelped, the bird taking flight and landing on top of the bookcase in the west side of the room.

Touka shielded her face with her hands. Kaneki stared for a few seconds before shaking it off. She was afraid of birds? Touka? Afraid? Kaneki was shocked to see Touka afraid of something; espiecally as something as insignificant as a small sparrow. Kaneki sat down next to Touka, who had now scrunched her entire body up into a ball. Why was she showing weakness now of all times?

"You're afraid of birds?"

Kaneki asked, but he didn't sound smug, or amused. He seemed...Compassionate. Touka looked up into those beautiful deep dark eyes, and pulled her fingers away from her face. The bird chirped happily as it flew out of an open window. Touka let out the air she had been holding in, and seemed to relax a bit.

Kaneki didn't dare move any closer, not wanting to ruin the moment they had together. Touka sighed before nodding timidly.

"Sorry."

Touka sat up and brought her legs back down from her chest. Kaneki could see a little bit of red on her cheeks, probably out of embarrassment. They caught eachother's gaze for a second, Touka's eyes locking with Kaneki's dark ones. A minute went by, then two; three; four. Touka knew that she had to keep her feelings secret, although this moment right here was making it harder than she had originally thought.

She could feel her hand inching it's way toward Kaneki's, not even an inch apart. As their heads got closer and closer together, a loud flapping sound startled the both of them, and the bird flew in through the window once again. It flew right in between Touka and Kaneki's heads, the wings brushing Touka's eyes. Touka panicked as the bird flew around the room once more before flying out the window.

There was now an awkward silence that lingered in the air, and neither of them spoke. They had been so close to making lip contact, and Touka didn't know whether she hated or loved the bird for it. Kaneki was feeling exactly the same way.

"Well, I better get...um, g-get going. I'm still on my shift.."

Kaneki trailed off, turning to the open window where the bird had used as it's entrance and exit.

"Better keep this closed."

Kaneki said with an awkward laugh and a smile, and walked up to the front door. Touka just nodded her head as Kaneki twisted the doorknob, and walked out into the un-welcoming hallway. With a sigh, he headed back down to the little Anteiku Coffee Store downstairs.