Chapter 22- B is for Betrayal

Chapter 22

Date: May 3rd

Location: On road heading towards Carlisle County, Kentucky

Time: 9:16 a.m.

I was too tired for the crap, ever since I got M.L.A’s knife yesterday my body was almost vibrating with how much energy I had. I couldn’t sit still, I had to keep moving.

I never wanted to stop, stopping meant time to think and I did not want to think about it right now. I was stalling, delaying the inevitable, I knew that but I couldn’t help my reaction. I didn’t want to face this but I knew I would have to anyways.

Finding the others wasn’t that hard. Maria already told me that they would probably be staying somewhere in Kentucky. With a little digging I found out that they had used a credit card to rent a house in Carlisle County, a dry county. Now I wasn’t dependent on alcohol, I was probably the farthest thing from it, but after what I went through I wouldn’t mind having some hard liquor at my disposal.

Since I couldn’t sit still taking a plane was out of the question. I got in the BMW and just started driving. I needed time to think about what I was going to do, to say to them. This wasn’t something I could just blurt out.

My eyes drifted over to the knife that glinted in the morning light. My eyes burned and I swallowed back the bile that edged at the back of my throat. My hands tightened around the steering wheel as I stared back out at the empty road.

Ignorance really was bliss.

My phone started ringing and L.J’s number popped up. She had been calling nonstop since I had my talk with Michael a couple of days ago. I never picked up; I wasn’t ready to talk to her, not yet.

A few moments later silence filled the car and all I could hear was the car driving smoothly across the asphalt. Then the annoying ringer went off again.

After what I went through, after going to two different prisons and finding out who M.L.A really was, my tolerance for people’s bullshit, no matter how insignificant it might be, was very small.

So, like any crazed person would do, I grabbed the phone and threw it out the window hearing it break. Now I was left in peace and quiet.

However, after a few seconds of the unnerving silence my thoughts decided that now was a good time to creep back in.

How did you not see this? It was so obvious looking back now and you remained oblivious. Are you an idiot?

With shaking hands I turned the radio on full blast. Unfortunately seeing as I was nearing Kentucky the only channels I got were country music.

That’s when I broke.

It wasn’t the music necessarily, it was more of the fact that I had kept my emotions bottled up to long and now I needed to release them or I might spontaneously combust.

I pulled over to the side of the road and slammed on the breaks jerking to a harsh stop. The moment I was at a dead stop I let out the loudest bloodcurdling scream I had ever screamed. I hit the steering wheel feeling my hand register some pain at how hard I was hitting the thing.

How could they? How could they betray us? How could I believe them?

I screamed again but this time it died quicker and my hits to the steering wheel were becoming softer.

This wasn’t fair.

When Lucia told me that M.L.A’s initials were of someone that wasn’t in out group I fantasized that it was someone else that I had never met. A random stranger that I passed on the street or someone I met in passing. Then again things never went my way.