Chapter 21- Obsession

Chapter 21

Date: May 2

Location: Dwight, Illinois

Time: 8:57 a.m.

Another suit, another state, another prison, but this time I wasn’t ready to faint, I was excited. Well excited, nervous, and berating myself.

I should have been going back to my team that was most likely freaking out now, but I wasn’t, I was chasing my obsession. I was chasing the opportunity to destroy two of the most powerful people in the world and I could only hope that I would succeed. Michael said that they had no weakness but I would find it and exploit it, I could do this.

For the second time, I put on my Dr. Joan Smith attire seeing as that is what the security guards there will be expecting. If I could pull the outfit off at Charles Holding Cell, I could certainly pull it off here.

I tugged at the outfit trying to make it look perfect, make myself look a little more professional. I was excited to see Lucia she was the person who raised me when my parents neglected me.

Lucia and Chris were practically my pseudo parents because my real parents pretended to hate me because they didn’t want Lockstar coming after me. In order to pull this off they had my sister, L.J, ‘diagnosed’ with cancer and wanted to use my organs to save her but then L.J ‘died’  but in reality went to a holding base. Incredibly complicated which is why it is completely understandable that I didn’t figure all of it out until a few months ago.

So, they were important to me, very important, and once I found out that they didn’t betray me and were actually spies in Lockstar I wanted nothing more than to help them escape. But of course, as reality proves, you don’t always get whatever you want. I knew that if I broke them out there would be a bunch of police and they would know exactly who to look for. I knew I was still on the top of their list to check for if they broke out because I deleted their profiles from Gresdale.

“Dr. Smith,” I looked up to see a very small petite woman that looked like she would break at the slightest change. “You can meet with her now.”

My heart jumped and then dropped. I was here to see Lucia but not to check up on her, not to see if she was alright, but to ask her more questions.

After the whole Lockstar thing went down Lucia was arrested and sent to the Dwight Correctional Center in Illinois. It was a maximum security prison for women in Illinois and had a bit of a reputation in the hacker world.

Being a hacker I was exposed to the inside circles of the biggest crimes and scandals. Most of the jobs for an average hacker came from prisons, the top prison being the Dwight Correctional Center. How prisoner’s got that much time to spend on a computer in a tight prison always confounded me.

I walked behind the woman who couldn’t have been a guard, carefully. I was afraid I was going to step on her.

Her feet made no sound as she walked down the cement hallways that looked painful to touch. I think I saw some blood smeared on one of the halls and quickened my pace.

After this I planned on never going into another prison again, they were way to confining for my taste.

“Why do you want to meet with Ms. Halten?” The woman asked in her light tinker bell voice.

“She’s a very unusual case,” I started trying to figure out how to word my explanation without giving too much away. “While she did work for Lockstar I don’t think she was doing it willingly.”

The woman stopped dead in her tracks that I almost rammed into her and turned on her heel looking up at me.

“Every single member of Lockstar we have locked up here admitted to freely working for the corporation.” Her voice was getting tight but it sounded like she was getting close to squeaking.