Chapter 4- The next opponent

Chapter 4

Date: April 8

Location: Condo

Time: 8:26 a.m.

I stared at the television blankly as if waiting for everything to just automatically click into place but nothing was going through. A woman was rambling off in a language I was now fluent in and I still couldn’t pick up what she was saying. My coffee had gone cold and no longer cooled my frigid hands and I looked like death itself.

After my conversation with LJ I tried to go back to bed but her ‘Happy Birthday’ comment made me restless. Everyone loved their birthday while I loathed mine. For many of them my parents weren’t there and then Lucia and Chris came in the picture and were there every single birthday until they ‘vanished.’ Sam was there for most of them and I got to spend one birthday with Terri before I fled the country. The last birthday I spent with John, Iris, Fran, Matt, and Valentin. All of the people who I had ever spent my birthday with were gone, I doubt anyone would be happy about this day either.

As I tried to go back to bed all the past birthdays started replaying in my head over and over. The one last year was the most memorable; it was when I had my first real conversation with Valentin, where I got to learn a little bit about the man behind the cool exterior. But now they were gone and I did not want to have another plagued dream so I decided to remain awake and watch television. It would surprise some but it actually gets boring after a while.

It barely edged past 8:30 and I decided to leave now, mine as well get this godforsaken day over with. Before I could get my jacket on and slip on my shoes there was a knock at my door. Who was here this early?

Putting the phone in my pocket and making sure I had my pocket knife ready I crept towards the door. In the back of my mind I knew that if anyone was trying to kill me they wouldn’t knock on the door, but the paranoia of my first year was becoming my best friend again.

I opened the door and saw a man wearing a suit that matched his skin color with the three letters UPS over his left breast. Behind him were a few big boxes of presents and balloons in wild colors saying ‘Happy Birthday.’

This day was not going to go by slowly.

“Ms. Carter?” He asked and I paled before regaining composure. How the hell did he know my name? “You are Aurora Carter, aren’t you?”

“Yes.” I said cautiously and the man smiled brightly showing his pearly whites and pushed a clipboard and pen at me. “Who’s this from?” I asked while signing the form.

“Your sister.” He says before dashing down the hallway.

“But I don’t have,” I didn’t even get to finish before he disappeared leaving me to the various boxes and bags.

Okay who the hell claimed to be my sister and how did they know where I lived, or more importantly know what my real name was?

I knew I couldn’t leave the presents out here so I dragged them inside staring at them for about five minutes before grabbing the overly pink and sparkly bag and grabbed the crisp white envelope on top.

Aurora,

You’re friends wanted to send you a little something for your birthday, I thought I could be the middle man.

P.S Iris wants me to tell you that you owe her for her birthday.

-LJ

You have got to be kidding me. LJ got in contact with my friends and sent their presents to me. This was insane, this was madness! This was tearing me apart.