Chapter 32

"M'tired," Alex grumbles as we stand in the hotel lobby, waiting for a car to take us to the venue

"Have you been sleeping well?" I absentmindedly ask while scanning through the emails on my phone.

"Not really." He stands directly behind me. My stomach flutters when he presses his chest to my back, dipping his head to rest it on my shoulder, his dark curls tickling my cheek.

"Why not? Are you not feeling well or is something bothering you?" I ask, subconsciously reaching my hand back to run my fingers through his soft hair, pushing it off his forehead to check if he has a fever. He lets out a hum of contentment and I luckily don't detect a fever.

"Someone hasn't been watching Friends with me," he mumbles into my shoulder, making my heart clinch.

Ever since Chris's comment a few days ago, I've been trying to put some distance between Alex and I. This meant no more late night binge watching my favorite sitcom. Every time he would ask me to watch it with him I would just claim that I was too tired.

"You can watch it without me," I suggest, still trying to consume myself in my emails rather than the presence of the popstar that's lazily resting his head on my shoulder.

"It's not the same." He snuggles his head further into the crook of my neck.

The hotel elevator dings and the doors open to reveal a glaring Chris, Milo right behind him. I quickly shrug off Alex and he almost goes toppling to the floor, confusion and hurt flashing in his eyes at my sudden action.

"Alex," Chris says in greeting as he and Milo make their way to us in the lobby. "Joslyn," his voice a bit more clipped.

The car pulls up to the front of the hotel and we all pile in, heading to the venue. On the short car ride, Alex decides to make himself comfortable in the back seat with me, leaning over to rest his head in my lap. I can practically feel Chris shooting daggers at me through the rearview mirror.

When we pull up to the venue I can't be more relieved to get out of a car in my life.  I quickly get out and head to Alex's dressing room, wanting to consume myself with work and stay busy to appease Chris.

"Hey, are you ok?" Alex asks, leaning against the bathroom door while I unpack all of his toiletries, neatly setting them on the counter and in the shower.

"Hm? Yeah, fine." I brush past him to go back into the dressing room, scanning my eyes around to make sure everything's in order.

"You sure? You've been acting... off lately," he comments, turning around, still choosing to lean against the bathroom doorframe, looking at me skeptically.

"Yep. Just trying to get used to being back on tour schedule I guess," I lamely reply, trying to give him a small convincing smile. I grab my phone out of my back pocket to check the time. "We better get going to the meet and greet."