It's Only Temporary

I looked behind me, almost regretting my decision. The gears shifted within the gate, turning. It enclosed the inside as the metal doors shut tight.

Beside me stood ten other volunteers, two of them being Suits. Valencia sent Otto and Solomon to assist me.  Otto was my height, however younger, probably early twenties. He had hazel brown hair and normal brown eyes. On the other hand, Solomon was tall, possibly Kootra's height, and he was almost thirty. His hair was pure blonde, close to white in the sunlight. He also had brown eyes, which was a nice change in pace.

Valencia thought the expedition would turn out better if she sent a smaller group, which could be both good and bad in different aspects. She gave us a week worth of food, but we have to eat it sparingly, and we were given a map with three locations to fill our water bottles. Also on the map were a few highlighted locations- a couple of which were places they haven't looted, and others being safe houses.

I pivoted on the balls of my feet, rotating to face my group. It was a mixed bunch, filled with a facade of audacious men and women, obviously filled with bravado.

"Hey, everyone. I'm Eddie, but people usually call me Sly- don't ask." I greeted.

There was complete silence. Wow. This is going to be fun.

I clapped my hands together and attempted to smile. "So do you all know how this works? Do you know the characteristics of the things lurking out here?" I asked, but there was still complete and utter silence. "Alright guys. Don't jump up all at once."

"Of course we know. We were all in this too." A lady muttered in the back.

"I was just making sure." I mumbled. How am I supposed to know, woman? I don't know how many ignoramuses are in this group. "Lets go. We have a lot of ground to cover today." I rotated back around and took a deep breath.

In front of me lied a long road. I began to walk, Solomon and Otto beside me and everyone else close behind. With a gun in hand and a knife in my pocket, I remembered when we carried Peony to the gates we were now leaving only temporarily.

I remembered Seamus' helplessness when they took her away- his slight rage. I'm glad he hadn't acted the same way when I told him the news of the looting spree. It probably would have killed me to see him like that.

---

I knocked her room door. "Bek? Could you come out to the living room for a sec'?" I asked.

The door quickly opened, and Bek appeared in the frame. "What's wrong?"

"I just need to talk with you guys." I turned and headed towards the living room. Peony and Seamus sat on the couch. Route 66 was playing on the dinosaur of a television. I pressed the power button, and the TV shut off.

"I was watching that." Seamus said, and I gritted my teeth.

"We need to talk." I pulled up a chair. Seamus and Peony sat up on the couch, noticing my tone of voice. Bek sat at the table behind the sofa. "I'm going to be leaving tomorrow. Valencia asked me to go on a run to get supplies."

My gaze shifted towards my friends, and they each had worried expressions- except for Seamus. I couldn't tell what he was thinking.

"For how long?" Bek asked.

"Only a week," I assured her, and her expression softened along with Peony's.

I looked to Seamus. His eyes screamed don't leave, but he didn't say a word. Instead. he rose from the sofa and headed to the  hall making Curly jump as he kicked the coffee table on the way out. Our shocked expressions were soon finalized by the slamming of his bedroom door.