Driving Once Again

I circled around the house. Seamus yelped in horror as a runner backed him against a car and tried to grab ahold of him. The blonde held his hands straight out, his right grasping it's rotting neck, and his left keeping away the one arm it had.

"Seamus!" I called, sprinting quickly to his area. To my left, a zombie ran quickly in my direction, and I swung the shovel to make straight impact with its right temple. Blood flew as it collapsed the the floor and I kept at Seamus.

"A little help here!" He pleaded, as his dancing partner was too roudy to handle.

"Dude!" I said, and his head turned. I tossed the shovel in his direction, and the blonde briskly kicked the being down and caught the weapon. As the zombie stood, Seamus adjusted a batting stance and swung at the neck with the narrow edge.

To our surprise, the head completely tore off and traveled a few feet down the street. I covered my mouth with a gag and held my stomach.

Seamus glanced back at me proudly. "I felt like Ness right there."

I gulped. "P.K. Fire," I managed to mutter, and Seamus laughed on the other side of the car.

More rapid gun shots from twenty feet away caused my head to turn. James aimed his hunting rifle and nicked the side of a zombie's head.

"Come on, come on," I muttered, furrowing my brow and reaching for my pistol. The runner got closer and closer to him. "Damnit." I pulled up the hand gun to my line of sight. "James, you got this..."

No. No you don't.

I shot at the zombie, making it collapse at James' feet. He glanced back and shot me a look of both frustration and relief. I shrugged at him, aiming at another runner and firing another head shot.

I eased forward to make a wall of three with Bek and James. Seamus stayed on the sidelines with caution, in case any short range assistance was needed.

The amount of zombies was thinning, but there was still too much to handle. Every minute, two or three would come around the corner, running so fast and practically yelling. You'd think the snow would slow them down. Maybe if they were deaf, we wouldn't be in such a tight spot. Where's Aleks?

Their yelling attracted more to come. "Why won't you shut the fuck up?" I exclaimed, blasting one in the temple. It was a domino effect that didn't seem to end.

When even less started appearing, I took it as a window of opportunity to head back into the first house and grab our stuff. I was hoping Aleks would find the key. Tapping on Bek's shoulder, I whispered, "I'll be right back." She gave me a nod while shooting down a runner.

I jogged to the house. Swinging the door open, I rapidly began to pile our belongings by the door plus a few extra things.

Upstairs had a cupboard filled with blankets, bed comforters, pillows, things of that sort. I took a few quilts out and tossed them to the floor. Bed comforters, I decided, were warm too, so I added one to the pile. When I was done, the thought of how I was going to carry these crossed my mind, so I went on a different search for a duffle bag. That wasn't too hard to find.

After stuffing in the blankets, I took the bag downstairs and threw it to the door. Heading into the kitchen, I went straight to the pantry and took a few cans and bottles of water to fill the rest of the duffle bag.

Just as I began to pick up our things, the familiar rumble of a starting engine rang through the air. A smile formed on my face. "Bastards..." I mumbled, reaching for the door knob and twisting it to exit the house.

I skipped to the car and threw open the trunk, piling all of our belongings inside. Bek was leading Peony to the car and opening up the back, and James still stood guard near the bumper. Glancing down the driveway, I saw Seamus trudging up and dragging the shovel.

He pointed back to the street. "Would someone like to tell me how we're going to get around those wrecked cars ? Is this a hover car?"

"Aleks'll figure out something," I waved off the issue. "Just get in. C'mon James, you too."

James already took front passenger, so Seamus and I opened the two back doors to hop in. However, there was a bit of a problem.

"Only four seats?" I asked, and Aleks leaned back and nodded.

"This is an H1. Just sit with the bags. Hurry up, you're wasting gas."

Seamus and I opened the trunk doors and moved our things out of the way, climbing inside and closing the door once again. I gave Aleks a thumbs up. "All good, Marchant."

The Russian sighed. "Brace yourselves."

"Wha-" Before I could finish my sentence, Aleks backed out of the driveway. He didn't go into the street, but he switched into drive and- well- drove... across the lawns of the formerly occupied houses. I thanked god that there weren't any fences.

I leaned my head back on the window and looked at the car ceiling. "Why do you think someone had this big ass car on such a subtle street?"

"Rich?" Seamus guessed, and I pursed my lips.

"Maybe." The was a sudden jerk from the tires rolling off the steep curb.

My gaze shifted out the window, and for once in a long while, I relaxed because I knew we were going to be driving for a bit. Just as I was closing my eyes, there was a sharp movement of something in the distance.

Adjusting myself, I leaned to the very back window of the trunk door and stared down the street. Seamus looked at me questioningly and adjusted his glasses. I squinted my eyes.

It was moving. "Is that an animal?" I mumbled, and Seamus leaned over to see.

"What?"

I pointed in the distance. "Over there. What is that?"

We both focused down the wide street, past the cars to something that was noticeably breathing. We just saw the rise and fall of something brown from behind a car, what we assumed to be the back of, for example, a deer that was laying down. But, before we questioned otherwise, the thing slowly began to rise.

That's not a deer...

My breath caught as I saw a human head, beaten up and bleeding from the mouth. I looked at Seamus wide eyed, and he shrugged in utter confusion. The person faced away from the hummer, trembling. "Stop the car, Aleks."

"Why?" He asked, easing on the brakes.

"Just hold on a second," I said, opening the back as we came to a full stop. Before I could step out of the car, Seamus grabbed my wrist.

"What are you doing?" He asked with concern in his eyes.

"I'm gonna go check that out."

"Try calling to him, first."

I nodded, clearing my throat. "Hey!" I yelled. "Over here! Are you alright?"

Bad idea.

The person, or should I even say person, slowly rotated. I guess it wasn't fully standing, because it grew taller and taller- taller than Jordan. I hadn't noticed its broad shoulders and rotten demeanor beforehand...

It arched its head to the sky, and a wretched roar shot to the sky and echoed down the street. A chill ran up my spine, but I still focused on it's appearance, noticing more wounds than a living person should have.

"I thought these things were dying out," I muttered.

"Dying out?" Bek questioned.

I shut the back door. "I never got to tell you about the run I went on at Koda. There were zombies lying in the streets- without any head wounds or anything."

Aleks started driving again, and I kept my eye on the clueless being.

"Then why did so many appear today during the alarm?" Seamus asked.

"I don't know..." I observed every movement of the zombie. I hadn't once seen one that heavily built during this whole fiasco. "Let's just get out of here."