Chapter 22

The next day, the chief called me into his office. When I entered, he was chewing out the secretary.

"Look, I told you, I like my coffee with milk, not cream. Cream upsets my stomach. Get it through your thick head!"

"I'm sorry, boss. I will get you another coffee right away."

"Get it right this time or you're fired!"

Isabella was on the verge of tears. She was shaking all over. The poor woman turned around and stormed out of the office.

The captain took the coffee, poured it out in the trash, then threw the cup across the door. I calmly dodged it.

"You wanted to see me, chief?"

He jumped at the sound of my voice. "Yes, Morrow. Take a seat."

As I did, I noticed him pacing around the room and fidgeting on the desk. When his fingers weren't fidgeting, he was biting his nails.

"You all right, chief? You seem a little on edge."

"None of your damn business."

"Hey, I was just trying to help. You know, they say confession is good for the soul."

"Don't waste my time with that tripe."

I sighed. "So what did you wanna see me about?"

He rubbed his temple. "Right. That. It's about the Grey homicide from yesterday."

"I'm sorry, chief. I'll make sure it won't happen again."

"You can take your apology and shove it. I know you don't mean it. You never do. But that's not why I called you in here. You see, our CSI team has traced the gun to a shop in the slums. They said it was bought about a week ago. We need someone to talk to the shop owner. You know how Greys are with people. We need someone who can get answers."

"And you thought of me. How touching."

"Save it. Look, I don't like you very much, but I know you're good at your job, especially when it comes to talking to people. I need your help on this."

I stood up. "Consider it done, chief."

"Thank you, Morrow."