Chapter 6

I was called to another gruesome murder scene that day, but this time it was a Grey that bit the dust. There were four other cop cars there, and about half a dozen Greys running about. I went to take a closer look.

"Do not touch anything," cried one of the Greys. "You will contaminate the crime scene."

"Hey, I'm just doing my job."

They leaned in closer and started whispering. "This is a very important case. We do not want human error to get in the way. At the same time, we do not want to make it look like we are the only ones doing the work. Just look busy, and let us do our job."

So I was a figurehead now. I grabbed the Grey by the scruff of their neck and lifted them up. Their skin was like rubber. "Now, listen here. I got a job to do and I'm gonna make sure I do it. You should try to not get in my way or you'll be sorry."

"Is that a threat?"

"You bet it is."

Dave grabbed my arm. "Derek, just let it go. They're not worth it."

"I will report you!" cried the Grey.

"I'd like to see you try."

All the human police officers as well as the Greys were gathered around me.

"Derek, you're making a scene."

"Keep quiet, Dave."

The Grey was shaking. "May I please have some help here?"

"Detective, let them go," said one of the officers.

"Why should I?"

"You're already on probation. Do you want to be demoted to a desk job?"

Damn bastard. He knew my weakness. I put the Grey down, but I wasn't too gentle about it.

"Let's go, partner," came Dave's voice.

I looked into the other officers' eyes. If looks could kill, they would've put me six feet under.

"All right."