Chapter 35

I woke up in a hospital bed with a Grey looking over my chart. "Looks like your life of partying has caught up to you."

"What do you mean?"

"The arteries in your heart have been damaged, leading to a buildup of fatty tissue in them. Your heart muscle has also been weakened. That is what made you have that heart attack. You are lucky we got there in time, or else we would be taking you to the morgue. Excessive smoking and drinking can cause this. You will need to cut back."

"Don't tell me what to do, you Grey fucker."

He shrugged. "Suit yourself. I am not the one digging my own grave. We will have to perform surgery to fix this. You will be good as new in a few days, but it is quite expensive."

"How much we talking here?"

"$1,000."

"One grand? I ain't got that kinda money!"

"We do have payment options for you."

"It's not worth it."

"That is fine. You are a detective, correct? I will just have to call your work and tell them you are not fit for duty. They will have you discharged."

I sat up and tried to grab them, but the shooting pain in my chest stopped me.

"Why you dirty little..."

"Do you honestly think you can go back to work like this? Your job requires you to be able to do intense physical activity. You will not be able to do that in the shape you are in."

I ground my teeth together.

"Show me those payment options."