Chapter 5

Going into Ja-lil's office was like stepping into one of those science fiction movies. There was a huge machine in the middle of the room with many buttons, dials, and blinking lights. There were all kinds of different screens placed around the room, each one showing stuff ranging from the inside of dead bodies to the simulations of gunshots.

Ja-lil looked just like any other Grey: three feet tall, slim, grey body with those damn black bug eyes of theirs. They were completely naked. Every Grey I met seemed to detest clothes. I curled my lip and wrinkled my nose. I could barely stand to look at their ugly face. Superior species, my butt. I could've thrown them across the room without breaking a sweat. The Greys always seemed to think we were beneath them, and Ja-lil did nothing to prove that wrong.

"Oh, it is you. Why are you bothering me now?"

"Nice to see you, too, Ja-lil."

"Do not waste my time. Tell me what you need and then begone."

"I'm here for the results on Jeffrey O'Brien."

"Ah, yes. That little incident. The ballistics prove that it was a suicide. Case closed."

"I find that hard to believe. One of the officers said that the bullets didn't match his gun."

"Are you saying they know more than me? My measurements say they belong to the same gun as that in his hand. His fingerprints are all over it. No other fingerprints have been found. Besides, ballistics show that it was fired from very close. The gun was touching the victim's head when this happened. So, obviously, it was a suicide."

"I'm not so sure about that. I trust my officers." More than I trust you, anyway, I wanted to add, but didn't.

"Do not talk to me about trust. I do not care for such human frailties. The science is clear. It was a suicide. I have nothing more to say."

"Mind if I take a look at your results?"

"A lowly human like you could not understand the complexities of my research. Besides, I have already filled in the paperwork and sent it to the police chief. The case is officially closed."

Of course they'd go to the chief for it. They knew he hates my guts.

"Oh, well, I guess there's nothing I can do now."

"That is correct. Now, please leave and let me do my work."