Chapter 33

That evening when I came home from work, I saw Diana packing her bags near the door. "What are you doing?"

"I'm leaving you, Derek. It was fun while it lasted, but I just don't feel the same spark anymore."

"What are you talking about? What about that fun date we had? What about all the nice things I've done for you?"

"I know those were all just a ploy. You have someone else on your mind. I can sense it. Women's intuition."

"Ah, don't give me that bullcrap. Just because I treat you nice doesn't mean I have to be hiding something."

"When was the last time you treated me nice, Derek, hm? Two years ago? Three? No, this marriage has obviously run its course. Don't you think I have a right to be suspicious about it?"

"You can be suspicious of it all you like. It doesn't make it true."

She then stopped, turned around and came up to me real close. "Look me in the eye and tell me you're not cheating on me."

"I'm not cheating on you."

"You're lying." She went back to packing. "I know all about you, Derek. Other people might not be able to tell when you're lying, because you hide it well. But I can. It's a subtle tic, but it's there. I've learned to notice your little smirk. It's on your face right now."

"Baby, come on! You're just seeing things. I think this sickness of yours has got you paranoid."

"Oh, no, Derek. Things couldn't be clearer. I've been wasting away my life with you." She finished packing and moved to the door with her two suitcases. "Goodbye, Derek. You will hear from my lawyer shortly."

She slammed the door in my face.