Chapter 48

"I think he's coming to!"

I didn't recognize the voice. I opened my eyes and saw that I was in the backseat of a car going a million miles an hour. There were a bunch of men in the car that I didn't recognize. They were clad in military attire, everyone but the driver sporting a Ceska Zbrojovka vz. 26 Light Machine Gun.

"Good, you're up," said the man beside me. "We're with the Anti-Grey Resistance. We were able to kill the two men in front of you, but we thought you were dead. I'm actually quite surprised you're alive right now."

There was a great pain in my chest. I went into my left breast pocket and pulled out the shards of my silver lighter. The bullet was embedded in it.

"Wow, so that's what saved you. You're quite a lucky guy, you know?"

I stared at the ruined lighter and just managed a grunt.

"We managed to get through the transporter gate by putting you in the trunk," piped up the driver. "They didn't suspect a thing. We're almost there."

"Almost where?" I asked.

"Our headquarters," answered the guy beside me. "We're in the Netherlands right now."

"How did you guys find me, anyway?"

"We've been tailing you for a while now."

"Since Japan?"

"Longer than that."

And I never suspected a thing. These guys were good.

"We heard you're interested in the Femtech facility," said the man beside me. "We've got a few guys on the inside. We were actually planning to raid it and rescue the prisoners. We could use all the help we can get. We're coming up to our base now."