Chapter 9

Police Chief Robert Young's brown eyes were piercing into me, his black horseshoe moustache twitching. "I can't believe this. You assaulted a Grey? What the hell is going on in that head of yours?"

I tried to keep my cool. "I didn't assault them, chief. I was just... persuading them to let me do my job."

"Persuade nothing. Everyone saw you grab and threaten them. Everyone's trying to keep friendly relations with the Greys and here you are doing your best to ruin it."

"They don't seem all that friendly to me."

"They just communicate in a different way than we do. You will have to get used to it."

"With all due respect, sir, I don't appreciate being looked down upon just for being myself."

"Well, you will have to learn to deal with it. Besides, the Greys were very busy solving a very important case. We are hoping for a breakthrough soon. What you did out there was unnecessary and foolish. You know you're on probation, so I would act more tactfully if I were you. One more outburst like that and I will have your badge! Is that understood?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good. Dave, what the hell were you doing there? You're the one that's supposed to reign him in."

"I'm sorry, sir," came Dave's shaking voice from behind me. "I was so shocked, I couldn't react in time."

"No more excuses! If he acts out again, you will also be held responsible. Do I make myself clear?"

Dave straightened stiffly, his whole body shaking. "Sir, yes, sir."

"All right. Dismissed. Both of you, get out of my office."