Chapter 61: Moonlight

Riti
_____________

I limped through the crowds, past people lounging around, now increasingly drunk (or high), until I got to the middle of the dance floor. I wasn't going to leave without feeling the rush of a dance floor at least once. Even though I couldn't move my legs, I thought I'd dancing my heart out with my upper body; But what really annoyed me was that the DJ kept playing angsty and irritating songs that did nothing to console me.

In the rhythm of bodies around me, and the flashing lights of the disco ball being the only thing clearly visible, I felt like my heart was going to squeeze till it burst. It hurt to slow down and think too much, so I just felt a burst of energy course through me as I tried to move in tandem with the crowd.

It wasn't too long before I felt a little more numb, maybe a little worse, and slowed down with the music till I was just swaying. The lighting changed to a soft red and the music shifted to a slow song. I wanted to roll my eyes and shrug it off but I felt a little choked up. So I just sighed, held back my emotions, and watched the crowd around me.

"Excuse me, excuse me. Ah, excuse me," I heard a voice getting closer to where I was, followed by disapproving sighs and tsk's, so I turned around to try and see who was ruining the mood behind me. I could barely see anything in the darkness, only a red glow on the faces of the couples dancing together, absorbed in each other. When did I become such a loner? Ah, Riti, you've always been a loner. Well then, why do I suddenly feel so lonely?

Right then, I felt a tug on my arm, and looked to my right to see a soft hand peeking out from behind a couple grabbing onto mine. With a few more "Um, sorry. Pardon me"s, the hand tugged me closer and I found myself stumbling right into a sturdy chest again.
"Dude, my ankle." I groaned.
"Sorry! Sorry! It's just so crowded!"
"You could've just called out my name," I hugged. But then it dawned on me, again, that he couldn't just do that in this crowd. Everyone knows him; it's suspicious. Ah, is this slow dance music suddenly feeling a little sad or is it just me?
I cleared my throat and looked away, but Jimin took my other hand in his, turning me back to him and surprising me.

He had a big smile on his face as he came closer and closer. I felt my face start burning in surprise, thank god for the red lighting. If he got any closer he could probably hear my heart pounding a little too erratically right then, but he didn't stop moving till our noses were pressed against each other's.
I felt his melodic laugh ring out softly as one of his arms moved from my hand to my back.
He said clearly, loudly, "Riti."

With his lips so close to mine, I thought I was going to lose my mind, and before I could follow my impulse and close the gap, my brain finally stepped in and I ducked my head with an embarrassed little squeak.

I didn't know how Jimin would react, but I felt him stop in surprise for a second before bursting out into an embarrassed laughter himself, teasing me and pulling me into a closer hug. Much was left unsaid, much was on my mind, but for those few minutes, we just swayed together on the dance floor, buried in an embrace.

When the music picked up again, I turned my head up to look him in the eye. "What about...?"
Jimin sighed and looked up at the ceiling. "It's over with her. Thankfully."
He then turned his eyes down to mine with a mischievous grin, smacked his lips to my forehead, and smiled, "Thank you."
I just about died right then, but the news was too good to be die right after hearing, you know?
I kept looking at him to gauge how he was feeling about breaking things off with her, but I myself couldn't hold back the smile playing at my lips.
Luckily, he was the same, and we let go of each other to goofily dance along to the next song together.

I accidentally put some pressure on my ankle and shot straight up in pain though, and Jimin moved towards me with his arms out like he was going to carry me or something.
I smacked his hand away and laughed, "What? Are you crazy?"

He stuck his tongue out. "Tonight, maybe!"
He just held my hand and led me through the dance floor and out the venue. I definitely felt some suspecting eyes on us, and felt self-conscious, even though Jimin was definitely the main attraction here.

Once we got outside, the place was surprisingly almost empty. "Madam, our escort shall arrive soon," Jimin tipped an imaginary hat.
I raised my eyebrows at him, "I can barely understand what you're saying right now."
He said in English instead, "Bighit car. Comes soon."

I literally laughed at his face and responded, "What was that! You have way more motivation than me to learn a new language. Try harder!"
He grumbled, "I mean it's hard... besides who has the time to spend... I'm not that young either..."
I boop'd his nose and teased him. "Well of course, you spend so much time working on other things."
"I do!" He protested. "Haven't you seen me sing or dance?"
"Well then how come you never cover or write songs? We miss your voice!"
"We?"
"Yeah, fans."
"Oh? Fans? You don't?"
I shook my head at him. "I am a fan, dummy."
"Mm but I want to hear you say it."
"Say what?"
"That you miss my voice!"
I blinked and looked at him with judgement, but glanced around quickly too, embarrassed. I walked around him till I was behind him so he couldn't see me embarrassed, and said, "But I miss your voice every time we leave each other though... and tonight I'm probably going to miss it again."
Jimin raised his eyebrows in surprise and looked a little emotional. "Aren't you the little poet?"
"I'm a woman of many talents, babe." I shrugged, and he teased me for calling him babe. This I brushed off by lightly smacking his shoulder and mumbling a "shut up."

A driver came in the same van I had arrived in, and I asked Jimin whether Tae and Kookie would be upset that we took the car without them.
"Whatever! Let them suffer, they've annoyed me enough these last couple of weeks," Jimin grinned.
I shook my head with a smile. "Well send it back once you're home."

The car ride was a lighthearted conversation and the most fun I'd had in a while. The traffic was clogged, so we were practically idle in the car for quite a large portion of the ride. Jimin talked to me about his parents, and I told him about mine. We slowly delved into deeper conversation as I sunk into the lull of the evening. He told me that he'd almost wanted to quit this year, but the stage called out to him. I told him what a hard time I had deciding to give up my passions.

At one point, I noticed a blue light streaming into the car from his side of the car and slid over to my own side in annoyance, before Jimin called me to come look. Half asleep, I leaned on his shoulder to take a look, and saw the moon shining brightly at us. Soft. And comfortable. I mumbled, "You should sing a song, Jimin. I love your voice." Without thinking I'd settled into a comfortable spot on his shoulder, and I heard him chuckle a little.

"I thought you loved my dancing," he chuckled.
"I love both," I whined, and closed my eyes.

We rode in silence for a few seconds before Jimin started humming. He put a few words in here or there, but I could tell he was coming up with the tune as he went along. Nonetheless, it was soothing and had a bittersweet feeling to it. Once he'd settled on a refrain, he sang that until my eyes were too heavy to open, and before I nodded off I felt him rest his head on mine.

I woke up soon after when I realized that we were close to my hotel, and Jimin had fallen asleep too. I slowly shifted my weight from under his head and he moaned and moved his head to the other side, still asleep. As we neared the front of my hotel, I looked at Jimin's face, peaceful and calm. He looked happier than he had for a long time. And in the moonlight, more than anything, he looked like a beautiful fairy, maybe an angel, who'd come down to give me company in a time in my life that I was feeling so lonely.

I couldn't help myself, and pulled closer to his face and pressed my lips to his cheek softly. I held it there for as long as I could, feeling his steady breath, and left him with that kiss when the car came to a stop.