Chapter 14: Square One

I heard nothing from the other side of the door. The shadows under the door indicated he was still there.
"Are you listening?"

"Are you one of those crazy fans or something?"
"Sorry?"
"Crazy– are you crazy? Are you saying this so I'll leave my Baekie?"
"My Baekie? I saw her with that other guy. You saw her."
"Baekie would never cheat on me! Mind your own business!" I stood up, aggravated.
"I'm only looking out for you! You yourself said you could lose your career!"
"I don't need you to look after my career."
"I mean of course go ahead and date but it's not worth losing your career over a cheater, you know!"
"She's not cheating on me! And besides, I trust her over you!"
"You've got to be blind to not have seen her all over that man!"

I facepalmed hard. I didn't hear any response from Jimin. I thought for a moment, then said. "Okay fine - I'll let you see the photo I have of them on my phone. Only because I can't stand by idly and see you get hurt." I quickly backtracked. "Or... anyone get hurt. I do this for everyone. Hearts shouldn't be broken. I do this a lot actually. Play Cupid. I actually have quite a track record in making and breaking relationships..." No response.
"Hello? Are you still there?" What the heck, did he leave? I made my way back to my room and craned my neck to see that he wasn't in front of the door nor the window. Instead, it had gotten crowded and a young couple was really close to the door. Maybe he'd thought he'd get caught and fled? Or maybe he didn't like what I was saying?

I looked at the the paper I was gingerly holding in my hands and hugged it to the best of my ability without crumpling it. Stuffing it in my laptop, I packed up to leave. It's not like I was gonna frame it or something, but it was definitely going into the hotel locker with other important things like my passport.
________________________
Next Monday, I tried hard to look nice in case Bangtan somehow made good on the promise for lunch. While we waited for the marketing director I even managed to get a fourth of the way through a new drama that was out. Priorities, Mateo had whispered to me.

After our meeting (boring as ever but Kang had allowed me to be a larger part of it- I think he was proud of my work with the marketing director so far), we went down the elevator, discussing where to grab lunch before heading back to Seoul National University. At the bottom, the elevator doors opened to Hoseok and Jimin, and the former smiled with a surprised "Oh!" They were dressed as you would expect for college students, I supposed.

Kang and I greeted them, and it took Mateo a second to realize who they were before he rushed some hi/hello's out too. Hoseok slapped his forehead as he remembered. "Hey aren't you guys staying for the company lunch? We're small, so we love having others over." I looked at Kang expectantly, but he just smiled, "It's fine, we were just on our way out." I pouted ever so slightly, but just then made eye contact with Jimin, who took one look at me and pursed his lips, looking away stubbornly. Maybe I wasn't really welcome.

What a situation. So close to hanging out with my only friends (who don't even know I exist; don't judge me), but it's foiled by a stupid relationship my favorite guy embroiled himself in. I pouted harder, sending negative vibes his way. Hoseok smiled, grabbed Jimin, and pushed his way into the elevator, quickly letting it close behind him. "No way, it'd be really impolite of us to do that. The only reason the marketing director didn't invite you is because she has to be somewhere today. Come with us."

As it happened, Jimin and I ended up next to each other on the elevator. At one point our arms brushed, but me being awkward, I jerked a couple of feet away in 0.0001 seconds and hoped he didn't notice. Once we got back to the top floor, the marketing director greeted us at the top. She said something or another about how she forgot to invite us "because I have to be somewhere today" before she brushed past us to leave, and I giggled at Hoseok's accuracy. He noticed and just smiled all cutesy, Hobi-style. You know what I mean.