Chapter 54: The Entire Damn Industry

Riti

BTS had arrived in Seoul along with most other groups from MAMA the day before the party. I resisted the urge to text Jimin, but thinking about this situation this whole time had really worn me out. I almost didn't want to go to the party anymore. On one hand it was the classic OhMyGODtheresgonnabesomanycelebrities part of me and on the other hand I didn't want to see Jimin and Baek Hee be a couple couple while he ignored me, especially when she was playing him. They wouldn't reveal their relationship publicly already, would they? You never know, I guess... I had hoped Taehyung had forgotten, but then again I also kept checking my phone for texts from him too.

When, over the course of a few hours, I had used every brain cell to debate whether or not I wanted to go, I mentally flipped a table and thought to myself: Okay. I will go. Even if for nothing except closure and straightening things out, I will go. Minutes later I got a call from Taehyung. Jin was on the other end as well.

Taehyung: I told Jin about how it'd be so awesome to bring you as a plus one.
Jin: And I was SO EXCITED! This is usually such a fun party, you can't just visit Korea and be friends with us without seeing it. Though we do have to enter from the back garage so you might get lost if we don't take you with us.
Riti: Okay now you're hyping things up for me. I'm excited! Should I taxi somewhere? Will you pick me up?
Taehyung: We have an extra spot in a car because Jimin's traveling separately...

I heard him pause, so I cleared my throat and spoke to break the tension.
Riti: Great! If it's not inconveniencing anyone I'm so glad to be joining you guys. Thank you so much for inviting me.
Jin: Well, duh. You're our friend now.
I heard a muffled voice in the background that sounded a lot like Namjoon: "And friends look out for each other!"

I laughed and hung up, feeling a little more hopeful about tonight. I tried my best to pretty up for the evening, and Taehyung's car, which was just him and Jungkook, arrived early to come hang out and pick me up. After debating about it for a bit, I put on the Little Prince necklace Jimin has gifted me before. One of the stylists I'd become friends with had come along just to help finish my makeup, and she complimented my dress, even though I was sure it was rather simple compared to how others would dress. It was unusual seeing these two dressed this way: like they were going clubbing, expensive clubbing. I immediately concluded I looked too young for an apparently big-kids event.

On our car ride to the party, Taehyung and Jungkook looked a little uncomfortable when they had to talk to each other, so I jumped right into it. "Why are y'all fighting?"
Jungkook smiled as if to say nothing was wrong, but Taehyung spoke up. "He's annoyed that I'm mad at Jimin."
"You are? Still? Why?" Did he know about the cheating thing?
Jungkook piped up, "Right?! Why is he still mad about it? He won't even talk to Jimin. And they've both been so damn sulky about it."
I turned to look at Tae incredulously, and he protested, "Tonight! I'm going to talk to him tonight! Geez, you two."

I felt a little pouty the rest of the way there. I didn't want Taehyung to give up on his naggy feeling of discomfort around Baek Hee. I wanted to lock eyes with Tae and tell him I didn't like her either, but I knew I shouldn't. It'd risk seeming like a pathetic, jealous person. Besides, Jimin's girlfriend cheating on him was his issue. I couldn't tell everyone lest it created more problems for Jimin, or humiliated him.

We arrived at the top floor of a huge parking structure and walked across into the building, bustling with people. It really did look like a club event, and people were generally dressing down from their usual caked faces and stylists. I stood a few feet away from the boys instinctively to not associate with them directly, which was a good idea considering how many eyes they had on them. A few came up to say hi or introduce themselves. The hallway inside was also peppered with random people, some celebrities, others probably socialites and millionaires. I got a few glances looking me up and down, but nobody cared to look twice, especially the guards, given my company that evening. I was definitely not the only foreigner present, but I was definitely the only one who didn't look like a model or an actor. There were so many different kinds of people, I truly was surprised. The music we had been steadily walking towards got really loud as we entered a big ballroom, and I gasped in wonder once we were in.

Talk about rich. The whole place was decorated like some movie scene. Glass modern chandeliers, purple-blue club lighting, at least three open bars, lounges and couches full of gossiping, relaxed, shinily dressed people. A DJ Booth was all the way in the back, elevated in front of a huge dance floor, complete with flashing strobe lights and the largest disco ball I have ever seen. We were in the penthouse of some fancy fancy hotel. Based on the conversations people were having, most in Korean, many in English, some in French, people here were children of diplomats, politicians, actors, singers, art collectors, business people, models, designers, and more. I definitely recognized that the majority were younger media celebrities, and I had to resist the urge to go up and bother them. I could barely hold back a wide grin. Jungkook nudged me with his shoulder.

"Go. Get selfies or whatever."
I scoffed. "What if they ask me who I am or what I do?"
"Tell them you're in a new kpop group?"
I smacked his arm. "Me?"
Taehyung laughed and snaked his arms around the two of us, wedging himself in between and guiding us. "Watch and learn."

He led us straight to a major actor I loved, one who'd recently gotten married. I all but screamed in excitement, with him right there. He was the most charming person ever.
"Hey! Let's get a photo! For the memories." He chuckled with the actor and got his phone out. The man noticed me and looked at Taehyung inquiringly. "This is my friend, Riti."
I reached my hand out and introduced myself. He might've noticed the stars in my eyes, because he laughed aloud and even insisted we take a few photos of just the two of us. After that, I gathered up the courage to ask him how his wife was, and he smiled and responded that she was somewhere at the party, but was just mingling with some others. Not saying that I made it my life goal to find her, my favorite actress, and ask for a photo or anything, but that was definitely my life goal right then. Taehyung chatted with him and his actor friends for a bit, and Jungkook and I wandered away.

Soon, Jungkook found a couple of his friends, but fortunately I'd met one of them previously. He seemed a little surprised to see me there, and I didn't blame him. I excused myself quickly from the close friend circle and wandered the venue a little, in search of people. This time I did have the guts to go ask for pictures, from rappers to actors to idols. I had a smug smirk on my face as my camera roll grew.

And then there she was. My favorite k-drama actress, standing in all her natural beauty, chatting with a group of older looking people. Gathering by their less groomed looks and age, I figured they were all PDs. I stumbled over and stood a few feet away, suddenly too intimidated to go tell her I loved her and wanted to be like her. So I stood there for a few minutes stupidly, and was about to run away embarrassed, but someone else in the circle noticed me. "Hey! Kang's assistant! That's you, right?"

I craned my neck to see who'd called me, only to make eye contact with a very familiar looking lady I'd spoken to before. She was the boss from that network I'd gotten in trouble at: Director Jeong. My eyes widened in embarrassment at the memory and I almost just stood there frozen, except she made a grand gesture to pull me into their circle of producers. I was standing right next to my favorite actress, and I just stared up at her in awe. She chuckled and introduced herself.

I quickly stopped her and told her I knew who she was, that I loved her dramas, her acting, and that she was my favorite actress. She looked pleasantly surprised and smiled, and I continued. "I love you so much. You're my favorite kdrama actress. I wish I could be as pretty as you. I also just met your husband, he's as charming as he is in the dramas. I hope someday my love story could be as perfect as you two." My knees were shaking, oh my god.

But she noticed maybe, and immediately hugged me and laughed, a little overwhelmed by all the praise.

I got a picture with her too, all while these producers stared at me, amused, like I was some little kid. She said she had to go say hi to someone else and left the group, but not before wishing me the best of luck with both success and finding a love story like hers. I felt like I'd been blessed by a fairy, and smiled as she walked away, before realizing I was still standing in this group of people.