Chapter 43: Your Pick

Riti
_____________

This b**ch's grasp on my hand looked harmless but felt cold and a little tight. My eyes widened in surprise when I heard her unnecessarily loud voice mention the event a month ago. I opened my mouth, unsure of what to say.

I saw Jimin's eyes widen out of the corner of my eye as his smile dropped. He stepped as if to say something to dismiss what Baek Hee had said, but something held him back. Oh. If he says something, he gives away that he was there. I felt a prick in my chest when I realized he wouldn't defend me.

Baek Hee's eyes held a certain curiosity and a certain anger, but her smile and voice gave away none of it. I tried to answer.
"N-No. I didn't."
She tsk'd and continued, "Anyways. Riti, right? You're kind of famous in my company. Well, you were, for a week. That kind of attention dies fast, you know?"
I smiled awkwardly. What does that mean?
"No worries. We're friends now. I need to leave soon though, I just dropped by to say hi," she turned to wave cutely to Jungkook, who immediately looked away.
She leaned in closer so I'd be the only one to hear her. "By the way, nice dress! I'd love to borrow it sometime! What size is it?"
I stared into her eyes, unconsciously stepping back a little. "Um... 6."
She smirked for a millisecond before whispering with a matter-of-fact expression, "Oh no, that won't work. I'm a size zero."

She promptly turned around and sat down close to the front of the room, beckoning Jimin silently with her hand. I let out a breath once she was out of my face, and realized everyone was staring at Jimin for answers.
He shrugged and whispered, "What? She's a friend."
Yoongi spoke for the first time in the exchange. "Make sure you're careful... It'll only invite trouble. You know."

"I know." Jimin nodded at Yoongi, as if saying don't worry, don't worry. The boys seemed placated but I stared at Jimin. Liar, liar. And he had told Baek Hee "so much" about me? I rolled my eyes, grossed out.

But Jin brought it back up. "Riti, what was her manager thing she was talking about?"
I shot an indignant glance at Jimin before explaining briefly what had happened, of course omitting Jimin's role. "You got the director to back you up?" Jin laughed, "You have friends in high places."

I forced a smile and tried to sit back down comfortably, but found I couldn't. My blood was boiling, and I just felt uncomfortable with that woman being there. I stood up to sneak away right as Jimin turned to say something to me, and he grabbed my arm when I turned to leave.
"Where are you going?" The worry in his voice gave away that he knew something was wrong.
I tried to smile. "I have to go."
"Wait, why so suddenly?"
"I guess it's my size 6 ass getting tired of sitting." The boys and Baek Hee all turned to look at us. I sighed and started walking.
"Jimin, where are you going?" I heard Baek Hee's voice behind me, but he didn't respond to her, and followed me out the door. Once we were out of their earshot, I turned around at him with a glare.
"Did she say something to you?" Jimin asked.
I tapped my foot impatiently.
"What? What happened?"
I rolled my eyes and sighed aloud. "Jimin. What's going on? That— that's Baek Hee. Your" I brought my voice to a whisper, "girlfriend."
I pressed my fingers to my temple. "You're lying through your nose for her. What about when the others find out?"
"I'll tell them myself. Why does it matter?"
"It matters because I'm having to lie too. For her."
Jimin raised his eyebrows. "You don't like her?"

I almost screamed with frustration but held it in. "No!" I braced myself and continued, staring him in the eye. "Jimin, I've told you this before and I'm telling you again. I don't care if you get mad. She. Is. Cheating. On. You."
I could see his eyes get sad and confused and I almost cracked and tried to mitigate what I said. He looked down and whispered, "You should come back." He doesn't believe me? Or maybe he does and isn't doing anything about it?
I scoffed, "I'm not going to go sit in that room with her. You can pick who you want there."
"I didn't even invite..." He threw his hands up in frustration, "Are you jealous or something? Why do you have such a problem with her?"
That's it. I didn't want to stand and listen to this crap. I turned around and started walking away from him.

"You!" He yelled. "You. I pick you."
I stopped in surprise and turned my head to look at him.
He walked to me. "I'll tell her to leave. You should stay."
I looked at him with some hope. "So... you believe me? That she's cheating on you."
He paused and breathed in hard. I could see his answer in his eyes, and my heart clenched.

I turned around and walked away, down the stairs, straight down to the parking lot. I didn't know where exactly I was going but I just walked and walked on out to the back of the building, and sat down with a huff at a bus stop nearby.
I wanted to punch a wall. I wanted to punch Baek Hee in her stupid face. I wanted to punch Jimin for being so stupid.

My phone rang. Jimin's manager called to ask where I was, and offered a ride back to my hotel. I lied and told him I'd hopped in a bus already so I could hang up quickly. I decided to look up the bus route where I was sitting and realized it went straight to the university. Back to work.

I almost swore when I remembered that the next day was one of the big award ceremonies. Great. Back to more work.

________________________
Jimin

My heart was hurting and I didn't know why. Was it because Riti had brought up that whole Baek Hee thing again? I don't know, I don't know. I walked back to the room and immediately asked my manager to drop Riti off, and he smiled and proceeded to call her.

I sat back down next to her empty seat, and Taehyung finished his part of the shoot and came to occupy it. "Riti left already?"
I pouted. "Yeah."
"Why do you look so sad? Did you two fight again?"
I scoffed. "I'm not sad. Why would I be sad?"
"Did you forget to give her her present?"
My eyes widened. Oh right.
"You forgot? That's too funny, dude. You called her here for this."
I shushed him. "That sounds so suspicious, don't say that."

He looked at me with an innocent expression I'd learned not to trust at face value. "What? What's wrong with calling the person you like to hang out with you so you can give her a present?"
I gasped slightly. "I don't like her, you perv."
"There was nothing perverted about what I said. You're the perv for imagining things, perv."
I smacked his arm and noticed Baek Hee's eyes on me. She smiled when I noticed, and got up to leave. I smiled back and waved goodbye as she walked towards the door, and I could swear I saw her step falter and confusion set into her face. She stopped and walked back, to me. Taehyung hissed and turned away when he noticed.
"Jimin~ I'm leaving now." I nodded and smiled. "Yes, you must be busy. Thank you for stopping by Ms. Baek Hee."
She glanced at the others, who I could tell were trying too hard to look like they weren't listening in.
"I'll see you tomorrow?"

I panicked for a moment, wondering why she was asking me on a date so publicly. Then I remembered the award show. "Oh... sure. Good luck with the performance and show. Bye!"
She looked a little dissatisfied but walked away anyway. I only realized a little later that I should have offered a ride, especially when I noticed my manager was still standing around in the studio. Riti had declined the ride. I looked down at my feet, upset.

Whatever. I'll see her tomorrow.

Untitled, 2018जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें