Chapter 49: Curveball

Taehyung
________________

For the next few days, Jimin looked so distracted and troubled. He stopped going on social media and posting as often as he usually did, he started eating less and looking at blank walls while sighing, and looked like something was weighing on his mind heavily.
At one point I heard him curse in private that he was going to stop drinking because he was so stupid. He looked a little... well, miserable and guilty, and I was concerned. Everyone had noticed, and we had observed over the last month that he only became like this when he'd fought with Riti. Though this time it was a little extreme.

One day during practice, I asked him while we were alone, "Why are you looking so anxious?"
"I'm not." He responded while pacing the room.
"Did you fight with Riti again? Or... did you say something to her at the party?" After all, she had said some weird things in the car ride back about me not approving of Jimin's hypothetical future girlfriend. Out of the whole group, why would I not approve of Riti?

Jimin looked at me, a little angrily. "No? Why would you think that?"
"It's just that when I asked her about you, she—"
He stopped pacing and stared my dead in the eye, positively angry now. "Oh my god, Taehyung! Did you say anything weird to her? She's not—she's not my girlfriend! Don't you understand that?!"
I pouted.
"You just don't know what you're talking about, you know that?" He said, exasperated.

To hell with that. Jimin's moodiness hits all time highs when dealing with matters of love and I'm not gonna take it personally. If anything, it reminded me to message Riti the details about our lunch plan the next day without telling Jimin I'd even invited her.

When the day came around, Jimin was gone since the morning, doing something or another, somewhere or another. It was raining lightly outside, and the cloud cover made me guess it was gonna rain more heavily all day. It was cold as hell too.

I quickly texted Riti asking if she needed a ride, but she said she would taxi, since she would get there a little late.

The huge apartment was feeling a little empty. Everyone but Jin and I were off elsewhere. The two of us got dressed up for the lunch and asked our manager to drop us off at the restaurant. It was a quaint Korean restaurant and we had a room reserved for our party. I opened the screen door and discovered Yoongi and Namjoon had arrived first. In a few minutes, Hoseok followed, and then Jungkook. Yoongi asked if Riti was coming, and I let him know she mentioned she'll be late.

We waited a good fifteen minutes for a Jimin who was nowhere. I called him a couple times but he didn't pick up.
"Don't worry about it, he's probably stuck in traffic. The weather is awful today, must be slowing people down." Joon said with a flick of his hand. We decided to go ahead and order, and Hoseok handed Jin an early birthday present, making the rest of us look bad for coming empty handed. I just hugged Jin and told him his present would arrive later. He laughed and ruffled my hair.

"Usually it's not me that outdoes the rest of you," Hoseok gloated. "Which reminds me, where's our Little Prince?"
He was definitely unusually late. The weather just got exponentially worse, and we could hear the thunder outside. A storm midday—great. But at least we were cozy and warm in the restaurant.

As we started getting a little impatient for our food, the screen door to our room opened with a thud and we were instead greeted by a soaking wet Jimin.

Jungkook joked, "Damn Jimin, didn't you bring the food with you?"
Jimin stood there at the door while he was greeted by a chorus of Where were you's and you're so late! and why are you dripping wet?
He looked kind of haggard and had a nervous expression on his face. He swallowed hard as the room quieted down.
"Jimin... sit down. Are you okay?" I asked him, my voice laced with the worry that was painted on all of our faces.
He shook his head before dropping to his knees in a position of apology. A couple of the others stood up in alarm, about to go help him up or see what was wrong.
Instead, Jimin spoke.

"I'm sorry."
We exchanged worried looks with each other. This was so unusual for Jimin.
"I've been lying to you for months now."
...huh?
"I have a girlfriend. I've been seeing her for a few months now."
. . . Huh?!
Jungkook immediately stood up in surprise, and I exchanged a confused look with Yoongi. I guess he has known Riti for a few months, but I didn't realize they'd been together, let alone for that long. I figured everyone else was thinking the same, because rather than look surprised, everyone just seemed a little confused. A couple of us even looked at Jimin with a supportive, matter-of-fact nod. Jungkook still looked very troubled.
"I'd like you to know, because I can't keep lying to you. It's making me feel awful. She came here with me."
My eyes widened with surprised and I almost smiled through the suddenness of the news. I really appreciated the humor of Riti mentioning she'd arrive late so she could pull this stunt on us. I'm not going to lie, with the suddenness of the news, I was just really worried because of how strange a relationship this would be. What future could it even have? Forget that, it's not that complicated. Love is love.

Behind Jimin, a figure appeared from the screen door, but the hint of a smile that played on my lips instantly vanished when I saw her blonde hair peek out as she stepped into view.
.
.
.
HUH?!

My jaw dropped. I was floored. Literally the entire room went pin drop silent in shock.
Baek Hee?

I glared at the girl and then at Jimin for a few minutes while I processed what was going on in my brain. What? What the hell? I thought about it for a moment.

Did Riti know? Of course she did; that's why... my lips curled to a snarl. "Disapprove of" — that's what she meant. Not that simple — well, it does SEEM simple, now that I realize what's going on. Sneaking out, getting mad at Riti for unknown reasons, whispering with her about things he wouldn't even tell me.

No no no no— I couldn't be so blind. What I saw between Jimin and Riti wasn't just my imagination. Did this absolute fool think he likes, or still likes, I don't know — Baek Hee?

I thought back to my first impression of Baek Hee backstage, when I came across her talking to a junior artist and a stylist... so self-important, so rude, such a hot mess. Her whole demeanor had changed when she noticed me present, and the way she openly flirted would not have disgusted me if I hadn't listened to the impoliteness with which she'd treated her staff and the other junior girl group member. Her? What did the man see in her?

I muttered a small "What the f*ck," getting a quick concerned glance from Jimin. He looked troubled but sincere. So sincere that I didn't have the heart to say anything. I didn't feel like saying... anything. I looked away.

After a long pause, Hoseok cleared his throat. "Jimin, you don't have to be so dramatic. You're soaking wet. Come sit down."
The rest of the members continued in their slight trance. Jimin beckoned Baek Hee to sit with him at the table as he removed his wet coat behind him. Baek Hee sat across from me next to Jimin, a spot I had saved for Riti.

Jimin softly called out to me. "Taetae, you look upset."
I glared at him, making sure he could tell how mad I was. "Yes. I'm upset. I'm upset you're dating her, and I'm upset you never told me anything."
Everybody shifted around uncomfortably but I couldn't give less of a f**k about what Baek Hee thought of me or what I said about her. Jin excused himself to use the restroom.

Jimin turned to me apologetically, "Tae I'm sorry. I wanted to tell you, I really did. But it was too hard and I was scared."
"Of what? That I'd tell management?"
"No. That you'd be angry at me."
I scoffed at him. "I am angry at you. Because..." I thought back to him and Riti laughing together in our practice room. "You're thick-headed. And annoying."
Baek Hee smiled. "That's a good one." Did she not understand the gravity of the situation?

I ignored her, but Namjoon and the others slowly started making an effort to ask questions and talk to her. Jin eventually returned with an extra bag in his hand, but I didn't have the energy to ask him about it.

I heard thunder rumble outside. What an awful day.