22

As soon as I walk in my house I'm bombarded by questions. All 4 of my sisters rush at me while my dad calls into the kitchen to my mom.

"where have you been" mom demands as she slams hand down on side table.

"you really should call Rosie if your not coming home" my dad says but he speaks gently unlike my mother.

"and she's wearing a whole different outfit, where was the dress you were wearing when you left yesterday" June says loudly, out of all my sisters she is the one mostly likely to cause trouble.

My mom moves up close to me and looks me over  before tugging the collar of my jacket. "this is new, where did you get your new clothes"

"my friend loaned them me" I say looking at the floor.

"they look like mens clothes" June calls out.

"no that's definitely a woman's jacket" Mary replies.

"so whos the guy" mom asks, her arms are crossed over her chest and her whole demeanour is strict.

"does he drive a red mustang" my dad asks as he peeks out of the window.

"how do you know"

"he's parked out front" dad says before opening the front door and disappearing.

Within seconds he's walking back in the house and an amused ark is following him. What is he thinking, why didnt he just leave.

I hear my mother's sharp intake of breath, I'm not sure what she will disapprove of the most, his age, his tattoos or the fact that he's a rock star.

"I knew it, hey ark. Has Chad been talking about me" dianne asks as she gives him a hug.

"not that I recall but I've not spoken to his that much" ark is being kind, he told me at lunch that Chad is with a different girl every night and never remembers his conquests.

I look over at my mom and she's quite obviously sizing him up, to say she doesn't look happy is an understatement.

"Rose are you going to introduce us to your gentleman caller"

"sure mom this is ark" "Noah" I quickly rectify.

"hello Mrs Hart, its lovely to meet you. You have a great place here, real homey" he's turns on the charm, he's even doing a posh accent. Well posher than his normal voice. He kisses both of my mums cheeks, I see her turn a light shade of pink. Mom actually looks flustered.

"aren't you a little old for my daughter"

"mom" I chastise. I'm mortified but ark seems unaffected.

"suzanne, manners" dad says as he gives her a stern look.

"I am a little older than rose but I don't think age should matter. If you like someone age shouldn't get in the way"

"so you like our Rosie" my dad asks.

Ark nods with enthusiasm. He's quiet, its so funny watching him squirm under my families glare.

"Noah what I want to know is what are your intentions" my mom asks.

Ground please swallow me up.

"I intend on taking rose out and showing her a good time but more importantly I intend on treating her with the respect she deserves"

My mom looks unconvinced, my sisters are just standing in the background trying to act like their not listening to every word.

"Rose don't you have to get changed for work, I thought I would stick around and give you a ride" ark says as my whole family stare at him. If I were him I would have probably ran for the hills.

"yeah I'll be two minutes, I would invite you to my room but I'm afraid my family would lynch you" I give him an apologetic look and he smirks back at me before he mouths that it's ok.

"its nice of you to give her a ride" my dad says.

"he's just repaying the favour" Dianne says before Mary elbows her. Oh god, she did not just say that i think as i avoid making eye contact with anyone. I'm so embarrassed.

I run upstairs before I can hear anymore of their conversation. I quickly throw make up on my face and take my hair out the French plait. I style it into a tight bun at the bottom of my neck. I slip into one of my work dresses and step into some black ballet pumps. After being in my heels for so long the idea of wearing them for 7 hours at work is hell.

When I return down the stairs I find my sisters squashed on the sofa, ark is sat on my dad's lazy boy. My dad is laughing and joking with ark but my mom is stood by the stairs just staring at him.

"you working until closing" mom asks as I pass.

"I finish at 10"

"you need to rescue ark" dianne runs up and whispers.

"why"

"dad's telling him how much he likes his music"

"dad listens to ryder" I ask.

"nope" she says popping her p.

I walk over and immediately I cringe.

"you know which of your songs I like the best. Live wire" my dad says happily.

I don't listen to rock music but I know ryder didn't perform that song.

"I think your thinking of motley crue" ark says as he bites his lip to stop the laughter that threatens to escape.

My dad looks mortified, he realises he had been thinking of the wrong band. "I'm so sorry I um"

"it's OK, our sounds are pretty similar. It's happened before" ark says as he pats my dad's shoulder. In all fairness i can see a resemblance to Tommy Lee, a much younger Tommy Lee.

"we should go, I don't want to be late for work" I pull ark from the chair and head for the door as quickly as I can.

"come back and see us soon" my dad calls behind us.

"call if your sleeping out" mom shouts although I can tell she would rather come home.

As soon as we're in the car ark let's his laughter flow, he puts his hand on his head and shakes it. "do I really look like Tommy Lee"

"well you do have black hair and a body of tattoos"

Ark scrolls through his phone and laughs when he presses the screen.

The stereo comes alive and I can't contain my laughter when live wire plays.

"my biggest hit"

"ill buy him your album for Easter" I promise.