I Start School Again

Friday January 2nd, 2150

I love my new classes so much I’m the youngest person of course but no one seems to care. Mecha gets about ten to twenty declarations per year this year however there is a drop. Robbie said there where only eight or that eight I’m the only one who’s qualified for the advanced program. With only one person in the program the education board has lumped into engineering class along with the second year students.

Learning the basics right now but with our landing closer than we thought the curriculum is leaning more to civil engineering where as before it was more mechanical. Mecha’s like me where always taught a more of a civil engineering discipline. How to keep the internal systems of the ship working with minor mechanics. Now that we don't need complex mathematics to keep us in space. What we’ll need are city builders.

My morning classes are math related calculus, linear algebra and Equations. Afternoon classes are Environmental and sustainability issues. Data is coming back on what is in soil and what metals are in the ground. Like earth there are rich metals like iron, copper, and nickel. We can make steel we can build cities. I could build a city a real one that will grow not just repairing this one.

Looking around at the cafeteria I see groups of people talking over tablets or laughing with each other. I want this place to be different then second school I want the rumor to not matter so much here.

“Hey?”

I turn to see a woman she’s nice looking strawberry hair and pale skin splashed with freckles. She’s the first person to talk to me so I smile back. “Hi.”

“Your Dylan,” She sits. “We have Professor Patiel class together.”

“Cool,” I say. “Are you a Mech or engineering student.”

“Hailey, I’m in engineering what about you?”

“Advanced Mecha I had a great mentor and I much of a party person so I did a lot of independent study.”

“Your married?” She says looking at my hand.

I don’t know what made me put the ring on my hand today maybe it was because I wouldn’t be working and I wanted people to see it. To see me as someone who isn’t a child who has a person that cares about them that I care about him enough to wear it proudly. “Not yet, I’m only fourteen.”

“Oh,” Hailey cans my body again. “You seem older.”

I blush, people have been telling me that a lot lately when on jobs asking why I have mentor. “I’ll be fifteen at the end of the month. Your paiered.”

She has a silver band on her, “For a year now it's been crazy he’s great.”

“What does he do?”

“He’s pediatrician actually, we live together now.”

“That’s nice I’m still waiting for my mine.” I twist the ring on my figure. “It’s going to change things when I pair.”

“Are going to make it work of apply for single status?” She doesn’t know who I am this is great.

“I’m going to try and make it work. My mother thinks this relationship now is just...Its a very complicated one.”

Hailey Nods her red hair bouncing on her pale shoulders, “Most uppers are.”

I sigh, “So you know…”

“I know stories but your so unlike the normal type that I wanted to know, sorry.”

“No no,” I says quickly. “Most people are to scared to ask and I’ll be the first to admit this relationship is different complex in so many ways. How it ends is obvious to everyone but I love him and we’ve been through so much together.”