A Drity Dip Leads to an Unexpected Trip

Tuesday November 18th, 2149

Lori's cheek looked better this morning, I left her at the station after going with her to her apartment to get some clothes. Her parents fighting means she'll be staying with us till one of them is sober enough to function again. Lori brought all her work clothes and a couple outfits to wear plainly. She also took the family ration card, they drank their share anyway.

Mom looked at Lori cheek saying it would be fine in few days just sore and red. She also added that it wasn't a fall that she tell an gaurd or her vocation supervisor.

"I'll be fine she said."

"Trouble in paradise?"

"No." I fix Jake with death glare, Sophia had her baby a little boy named Gideon and won't back to work for awhile Jake is single because he's smug as hell and never shuts up even when he really should it's going to get him in trouble one day.

He taps his hand on the wheel of the truck, "Look you two lasted longer than anyone said you would."

"Shut up." I say loudly, one day might be today. Last night seemed to be an oman today is going be bad.

"Okay."

He backs down looking at the road. We're going deep into the farmlands today where a water station has been backed-up. The thought of working raw sewage has zero appeal to me but Jake was the only one willing to be my mentor. I think I know why when he saw where he was supposed to go. So, yeah today is suck any day in sewers is bad a broken one is so much worst.

We make it to the point by the smell of it. The chief if there explaining it. "We've been trying to reduce our use the last few days until you go here but...Its bad."

Jake pushes me forward. "My trainee will take a look and see. It's probably just a buildup of dirt particles and human waste command in the farmlands a little lime powder and good power washing be good as new."

"I hate you right now."

He shrugs. "I don't give a damn I thought I would be doing this day and now I don't."

"Would you be open to a bride?"

He throws me a roll of duct tape. "There aren't enough point in the universe to get me down that hole."

While he opens the hole, I tuck my pants into my boots, the bind them together with the duct tape. I do the same with my long sleeves and gloves. Putting the comm device behind my ear.

"Channel seven respond."

"I still hate this."

Putting on the white plastic suit over my normal work clothes I caught a whiff of the smell. Two days worth of raw sewage is enough to make me gag. Putting on my face mask I feel my stomach and every major system in my body telling me to not go any closer. Jake has the wench over the hole and the sling ready. I check over my suit making sure there are no holes then put the mask over my face.

Then I put the tank of cleaning solution its a mix of safe chemicals that will degreed the built-up filth and allow it to break up. Once that happens I'll use a long pipe to pound and chip at the harder stuff. After that we'll radio to the water treatment plant to flood pipes. Finally I put in a new screen and be done. I'll probably feel dirty till the new year but this is the only time in my whole apprenticeship I'll have to do this.

"Madam." He bows as get in the sling.

I flip him off as he lowers me below ground I make a squishy landing that causes me to groan. Turning on my flashlight I see the brown water with floating masses of foam that are a sickly yellow. The water is over my ankles and feel myself sinking slowly.