28. spoons are for psychopaths

Monday November 3rd

"Hey," I look up from my locker. Today we were supposedly using the brick of paper otherwise known as a textbook, in government. Which meant I had to waste my morning by going all the way to my locker and manage to remember the combination.

"Hey?" I recognize the voice as Cades, but I'm not completely sure until I close the metal door to see his face.

His bag is hanging off his shoulder, but no textbooks in hand. Lucky. "Sorry, I didn't mean to surprise you."

"Uh, no it's fine. I just didn't know that we were talking in school now?" He had made it such a big deal to keep everything quiet, I can't imagine he would want to give it up so quickly. And yes, maybe I was being a bit salty about it, but I won't admit why.

"Well there's no one in this hall this early in the morning. Plus if anyone sees, we do have that project in practical law." How could I forget.

I pull my bag onto my shoulders once I manage to stuff the textbook inside. "Right." I start to move slowly down the hall, he's reluctant to move but does after I'm a couple steps ahead. "So, what's up?"

"Nate was wondering if we could help him tonight. He's asking us, Colin, and Ryan to come help with the plan to ask Shan out. Something about this Friday."

I did offer to help him this past weekend, it's not like I could back out now. "All of us? Where are we meeting?"

"At my house, Colin said he could drive you."

"Right after school?"

"Yea, so you'll be there?" We're walking close enough that his arm keeps brush against mine, but he nudges me when I take a second to answer.

"Yea." My smile matches him, and just like that he's walking in the opposite direction.

Good timing too, because Brax steps in front of me, a look of hurt on his face. "I thought you left me."

"I could never ditch my walking buddy. I just had to get my government textbook."

"Oh yea, I heard about that. So why were you talking to Cade anyways?"

How long had he been there to hear us? "What do you mean?" Always answer a question with another question, not suspicious at all.

"Jesse. I'm not blind, I saw you talking to Cade."

"Oh yea, we were just talking about this project in practical law. We have to research and present on Ted Bundy and all of the women he raped and murdered."

Brax seems to buy it because he keeps walking. "Well that's fun. I'm glad that class isn't too graphic or anything."

I laugh at the sarcastic tone in his voice. "Yea, just the light stuff."

—————

"So. I was thinking that we could have a Criminal Minds marathon after school today." Shan bites into her apple, but the question was pointed at me. It had been awhile since we just had a night to ourselves, to be real best friends.

"Um, I would. But I have to work on a project after school. I'm not sure how long it'll take, but it might be a while." The lie comes out almost too easy, luckily she doesn't catch on. I hate lying to her though.