1. the first step

A/N: Thank you evepetal for the amazing covers!! (The one in use and the one above)

Monday September 2nd

"Jesse!"

"Jesse Sanderson!" My name was said in a sing song tune.

"Yes Colin?" I looked over my shoulder at him trying to catch up to me.

I turned back, I really didn't want to completely face plant. A pressure was soon on my shoulder. "Jesse."

"We get it. You know my name." I looked up to see him slightly scrunch his face. "Now, what ever could Colin Taltre want?" Colin squeezed my shoulder, somehow making this gesture look cool instead of awkward, not that looking relaxed and cool was hard for the boy.

We turned the corner towards the stairs. "Well if you really must know, a little birdy told me that you and a certain Q.B. have classes together." We had made it too the main floor.

"Big surprise there." I got out of the way of two boys chasing each other. I turned to see them fit through the crowd and turning a corner into another hallway. I turned back just in time to stop centimeters away from body slamming in to, you guessed it, him.

Colin laughed. "Speak of the devil and he shall appear." I heard patting, probably Colin hitting Cade on the back. Colin has always been a touchy person, or least since I had know him.

Cade has a look of amusement on his face, one eyebrow raised higher, than he makes eye contact with me, awkward might I add.

I kept the gaze for a second then I slid past them both and made my way to the cafeteria.

I could have said something sarcastic like 'we have to stop meeting like this' to Cade since it's almost a daily thing, but that could be taken as flirting. And the last thing I wanted to do was for people to think I was flirting with him.

I set my backpack on the table, scaring Shan and making Harper look up from her phone. "What took you so long, usually you're here first?" Shan looks uncomfortable. Probably because her and Harper aren't that close of friends, mostly only hanging out together because of me. But Shan and I were beyond close, not really being a choice since we live together.

"Colin met up with his secret lover." I huffed as I fell into my chair.

"You're just jealous." Harper's phone was set aside as she leaned closer to this new conversation.

Which caused Shan to rest her head on her hand. "I'm waiting to wake up to you sneaking him into your bedroom."

This is so stupid. "Don't you guys think you're a bit obsessed. I mean we can't even go a lunch period without bringing him up."  Shan blinked, acting as if she had no clue what I'm saying. "Last time I talked to the dude was in seventh grade, it's like asking for a blizzard in Southern California... never gonna happen."