2. the blizzard in southern california

Monday September 2nd

I open the door to the SUV in front of me, throwing myself into the passenger seat. Aisha, Shans mom, gives me a warm smile before pulling the car out of the parking lot.

"So how was first day of junior year!"

"Fine."

"Just fine? I want the juicy details!" Aisha loved gossiping and hearing the latest drama. "Who's dating who? Oh I know, what about your khaki boy!" Her tone was suggestive, too suggestive for a day at school.

I turned to her, "My khaki boy?"

"Yeah, or just any of the khaki boys?" By my khaki boy she meant Cade and my khaki boys she meant his friend group. The group has changed over the years but a good chunk of them are still there.

The oh so clever name was gifted to them by none other than myself, but what did you expect when the only thing you ever wear is the same pair of pants all the time.

"You can ask your biological daughter about that one." Shan almost had an obsession with them. She loved how I could never catch a break from them and even goes as far as filming them and then proceeding to send me the videos. It wouldn't surprised if one day the FBI's knocking on our door.

"Well is she here in the car? No."

I shift, just wanting to get home and lay in my bed. "I have classes with them of course, oh and I have to interview Cade for yearbook. And I almost body slammed into him." I stopped, hoping that would hold her over. Not boring her with the details of seeing him and his clan between every class or the awkward eye contact that always happens, although she would love to hear.

"I need more juicy stories, I want you guys to talk. You know I think this whole thing is a sign right?" Aisha believed everything was a sign. A flower bloomed, sign of new life. Her pen stopped working, sign of hardship. Multiple teenage boys practically stalking her kind of daughter, a romance in the making.

"Yes. Cade and Nate are the two most popular kids in their grade, possibly school. Don't get your hopes up." Nate was Cade's right hand man. Always with each other, you need to find one than find the other. "Can we just talk about something different."

"Of course. How's that job coming?" I groaned. Ever since the little pet shop I worked at closed Aisha had been bugging me to get a new job. And not so surprising, finding a job in a small town is very difficult.

Downtown was one single block, only lined with ten stores. Everything else was off the beat and path, where they sat at full capacity.

"I'm working on it, I have to search a little more." I refused to work at the local grocery store since I know I would see way too many people I know. I also banned myself from working at fast food restaurants. I loved the pet shop but since that was out of the question I don't know where to work. "Preferably somewhere that no one goes."

"That's called unemployment. You can't have a place that people don't go to."

"I could take surveys for a living. Or be a professional hermit!"

Aisha noticeably squeezed the steering wheel making her knuckles go white. "Well you have to have a job before than."

"You act as if I haven't had a job. It's not my fault the pet store went out of business."