22. a party of soul eating demons

Friday October 24th

The bleachers were packed. The playoff game was surprisingly home, but everyone and their mother decided to show up tonight. Shan, Mia, and Harper were all there, and wouldn't stop singing to the early 2000s music playing throughout the stadium.

I had just gotten back from wishing the boys good luck. Colin has been calm enough for me to wish him the best, but Brax and Tate we're accepting of me.

I even smiled at Nate and Cade when they walked past, which probably just looked like a nice thing to do but Cade understood because he nodded.

I do have to admit, this game felt different. Usually I wasn't the biggest fan of the crowed bleachers and dads who were more upset then the kids. But the sun had just started to set and the lights had just turned on. The same lights that turned off when Cade and I snuck onto the field just three weeks ago.

I was actually excited for tonight. Colin, Brax, Tate, Cade, Nate, and Levi were all starters, which hopefully meant something good for the outcome of the score.

But even if we did lose, and the season came to an end, the boys all had more sports after this. And I actually enjoyed basketball games.

Shan was practically jumping up and down next to me. "What are you so excited for?" She face was covered in face paint, the mascot scribbled on her cheek. But it didn't hide the blush on them. "Your hanging out with Nate after, aren't you!"

At my mention of this both Mia and Harper turned to the conversation, their jaws dropping.

"I - we're just getting some thing to eat." Shan didn't make eye contact, which only made us become more interested.

"Something to eat, huh?" Mia teased.

Harper crossed her arms. "Is the table gonna be your bed?"

"She won't come home when she knows both parents are gonna be home. I'll let you know how late she gets back." Aisha and Jim we're both scheduled to be home tonight, and sweet innocent Shan was not going to risk bringing a boy back home. Especially Nate.

Shan folds her arms and ignored us to watch the guys warming up, there being five minutes until the game starts.

"And to think, I was gonna suggest having a movie marathon tonight." Shan looks guilty but I turn to Harper and Mia to see their plans. "Are you guys up for it?"

"I would love to, but Tate is dragging me to go see Star Wars. He's going to fall asleep so I don't even know why he suggested it."

I turn to Mia, hoping she's free. "I really want to, but I have to babysit all tomorrow and Sunday. And tonight it my only time to do homework."

"Why don't you see if Colin is free?" Shan provides a solution.

"I don't want to see Colin tonight, especially if we lose." Colin will either be punching everything in sight, or crying into his pillow while listening to Billie Ellish. And I wasn't about to go deal with that over a football game.

"You could always go see Cade." Harper winks and nudges my side. I was going to be with Cade all tomorrow and Sunday, plus he'll probably be with Leah anyways.