14. constellations

Start from the beginning

We don't miss the annoyed cough the girl lets out to get us to break apart.

"Who are you?" Now that I can actually see the girls face, she looks my age. Probably a junior or senior in high school, but the question of why she's trying so unbelievably hard to get his attention is still unanswered.

I manage my best smile, "his girlfriend, can I help you with something?" I'm so lucky that we're about an hour away from home because if someone I knew were to see this situation, I would never hear the end of it. And I'm lucky that my voice didn't break when I said the word girlfriend, because it was slightly painful to get out. Another thing I didn't think was going to happen tonight, me pretending to be dating Cade Butler.

"You're his girlfriend?" The tone on her voice is kind of hurtful. Doesn't she know not to stereotype? Man I didn't think I was that ugly.

I give her a nod, not letting my smile drop. Which is quite difficult when she's narrowing her eyes into a glare which never seems to end.

An arm is draped across my shoulders, pulling me closer to the person it belongs to. "How about we go somewhere else instead." Cade says it into my hair but directs the statement towards me but the girl turns her glare towards him.

My goodness, what is her problem? Haven't people learned to back off when someone says that they have a partner.

I tilt my head up towards him, "sure, this place kind of has a bad vibe tonight."

The girl didn't like that.

How do I know that she didn't like what I said?

Her scoffing at my words and then the ice cold liquid that was now running down my chest after she picked up Cades drink and threw it in my face.

Nothing like ice cold water to really wake you up.

At least it was water.

My plan of not causing a scene didn't work, that's for sure.

The girl now had a smirk plastered on her face like she had stolen my fake boyfriend from me by dousing me in water. I'm not the wicked witch of the west, she does know that I'm not going to melt, right?

"You know, I was a little hot. Thank you." I gave her a smile just to irk her and started towards the exit when Cade nudged me in the back to go, probably trying to get out of this mess before the manager came.

Except Cade never lifts his hand from my back, and keeps it rested there as we walk.

I could hear the girl slam the cup back on to the table as we walked away. People had definitely seen the whole interaction from the amount of confused and apologetic looks I received until I walked out the door.

"I don't know if I should thank you or not." Cade's voice was barely about a whisper and he nudged my arm as we walked towards where my car was parked, still trying to give the girl a show if she was watching.

That's when the air finally hit my soaked shirt, making me realize just how cold I actually am.

"Is Leah actually on her way?" The thing about stepping into that whole situation is that Cade actually does have a girlfriend, and I didn't want to be skewered and barbecued.

He laughed under his breath. "No. I was just trying to think of a way to get her to leave me alone." I let out a sigh of relief, if Leah was going to be here at any moment that would cause too much drama to handle. "Did you eat?"

"No," the surprise from the topic change was evident in my voice, "no, I got stood up."

"Me too." He paused for a minute before deciding that he wanted to continue saying what was on his mind. "Wanna go grab something to eat?"