Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Midnight was currently explaining the second round, a cavalry battle. She was clarifying the point system, and how first place was worth 1 Million points. Your eyes immediately snapped towards Deku with a crazed look. You were already incredibly salty with him taking 1st place, especially without the help of his quirk. The fact he did it quirk-less was like pouring salt on an open wound. You were livid, even after Kirishima's heartwarming conversation earlier, it wouldn't erase your burning desire to beat Deku to the ground.

And Midnight was preparing his downfall just for you.

"Now, get into teams of 3-4!" Midnight cracked her whip, the screen above her blinked with bright red numbers. "You have 15 minutes to assemble your group!"

You took a look around you, already Todoroki and Bakugou were having small crowds of their own. People were begging to be a part of their team. You sighed, mainly out of envy by how many people relied on them.

"Todoroki didn't even use his full power..." You muttered pettily. You felt a tap on your shoulder. You quickly turned around, scowling at who stood in front of you.

"H-Hey...(Y/N)..." Deku laughed nervously under your gaze.

"Like hell I woul-"

"W-wait! Please! No one else would team up with me because of my points!"

"And you think that I'd want to protect your sorry ass." You scoffed, crossing your arms. Was he just here to ask because you had no one else? The thought pissed you off. "No thanks, use your quirk and you should be able to handle yourself, hm?"

"B-But!" Deku desperately grabbed your hand, which only soured your mood. "You're strong (Y/N), I want you on my team because you're reliable! Not because of anything else." Deku breathed, a determined look settled in his eyes. "A-and if you want, you can be the rider...You'd protect the headband better than I would." He let go of your wrist, taking a step back. "I know you're still hurt after I lied to you, and I know what you think of me...But I told you before didn't I? I'll prove to you how much I deserve this..." He clenched his fists, confidence rolled off his shoulders like tidal waves. He was being serious. "I'll...We'll get to the next round, and you'll get the battle you deserve."

You remained silent, watching Deku through lidded eyes. You sucked in a deep breath before looking around you. Mina and Kirishima were huddled around Bakugo, who was currently talking to Sero, a 4th member. You slowly looked back to Deku.

"Tch...Fine, but I'll be rider." You eyed Deku's stance, he stood tall and he looked almost proud. "We're getting to the finals rounds, and for that to happen, I don't want you holding back anything. Use your quirk wisely and how it's meant to be used." You took an intimidating step forward, bur Deku didn't falter. "If we're gonna be on a team, you better explain your quirk to me."

"R-right...Um..." Deku exhaled a shaky breath before continuing. "Well, it's a simple power up quirk that I can apply to my limbs. Usually though, when I do that, the power is too much and I end up breaking my bones..."

"...So...You can only use it once?" You gawked at him in disbelief, raising a brow. Deku meekly nodded. You let out a sigh of disappointment. "Well, if thats the case, hold onto your quirk till the end where we'll go full out, either retrieving headbands or defending ours." There was a slight pause in silence. It was taking a while for you to register the fact that you were teaming up with Deku of all people. "Anyway, who else in on our team?"

Deku pointed a thumb behind him towards Uraraka, who stood beside Tokoyami. "Uraraka and Tokoyami." You started to formulate a plan in your head, nodding in approval.