chapter thirty eight

emma's pov:

"need help with that?" ethan asked as he jogged towards me.

"i'm think i'm good!" i said happily as i picked up my side table.

i walked into the meloche's house and placed my belongings into the guest-my new room.

ethan followed in suit, carrying my bedding and a lamp.

"need help with that?" i mocked as he entered the room.

"sorry!" he huffed as he placed the blankets on my bed.

i laughed and placed a hand on my hip, observing the space.

my walls were eggshell white, due to the lack of use this room gets.

my same childhood bed was against the wall in the middle. ethan smoothed out my yellow duvet and placed the leaf- patterned pillows against the headboard.

i had my beanbag in the corner and a walk in closet for my clothes. i even had my own bathroom, much to my excitement.

you could say i lucked out a little.

my room was basically complete, until ethan jogged out of the room and strode back in, his hands behind his back.

"thanks for the help eth." i said as i plopped down on the bed. i laid down on the cold sheets and closed my eyes, reveling in the fact that i was in my house.

"one more thing." he mumbled as he placed the object on my side table.

i sat up and peeled open my heavy eyes. there was a picture frame with us together in it from one of our many childhood adventures.

we were around eight or nine in the photo. i held a snow cone in my hand and had the toothiest smile on my face. ethan stood next to me, his smile matching mine, yet he wasn't staring at the camera. instead, his brown eyes were focused on my face, and his red popsicle was melting all over his hand.

i smiled at the image, remembering the day all to well.

ethan sat down beside me and placed a quick kiss on my cheek.

"i love it." i rasped, overcome with emotion.

"and i love you." he said cheekily.

"you're a dumbass." i joked as i faced him.

"and you're an angel." he remarked, smirking at his flirting attempts.

"smooth." i teased while pushing back his hair with my hand.

he kissed my hand that was resting on his jaw and locked his eyes with mine.

i bit my lip to suppress my ever-growing smile.

"i love you. so much." i whispered as i glided my thumb on his jaw.

he blushed and whispered back i love you, before leaning in to kiss me.

i met him halfway and continued to kiss him passionately, attempting to communicate every emotion.

his hand rested on my cheek, while my arms laced their way around his neck.

he slid his hand down my body in the most intimate way. his soft touch lingered at my shoulder, down my arm, across my hipbone, until his hands rested lightly on my hips.

that saturday afternoon we lay asleep in my bed, limbs tangled together, and hearts beating softly as one.

we awoke many hours later. moonlight streamed through my curtains and illuminated ethan's face, accentuating his features.