chapter thirty one

emma's pov:

as hannah said those words i felt my heart sink. they wouldn't ever take me in. i mean, they have like ten thousand kids already. i would just be burden. another kid to pay for. another mouth to feed.

"holy shit." hannah said, grabbing her phone and typing away madly.

"hannah...." i breathed, knowing it was pointless.

"oh my god we could be like sisters..." she mumbled.

i heard thundering steps and her mom swung open the door, a crazy smile on her face. the corners of her eyes were crinkled and she padded over to the bed, sitting down carefully.

"okay, i know this sounds crazy emma, and it will take a while to get approved, but how would you feel about david and i... possibly becoming your legal guardians?" her mom asked.

this was all happening so fast. yes it was fucking insane that i could possibly be adopted by the meloche's. but i wanted a family. i have the dolan's, but i could never be adopted by them, considering ethan and i's relationship. not that they know about it.

"are you sure?..." i said hesitantly. was she just doing this out of pity?

"are you? it's up to you honey." her mom said, still smiling like the cheshire cat.

"yes..." i said while sighing. i started to sob for the umpteenth time.

hannah and her mom clung to me in her poorly lit bedroom as i let it all out. they both had tears of their own, knowing how long i have been wanting this.

i'm almost an adult, but being adopted by them would be a dream.

it was 12:46am when my crying subsided. hannah's mom was long gone. but hannah still held me like i was glass.

"holy fuck." i mumbled while sniffling.

"i know." she said loudly, laughing at the suddenness of it all. "mom and david would want nothing more."

"i dont- fuck i have to call lisa." i said while looking around wildly for my phone.

she smiled and reminded me of the time, most likely noting to never give me espresso past 8pm.

"we have school tomorrow." hannah said.

"i know." i breathed out. i was unable to even function properly after tonight.

i unlocked my phone as we lay under her sheets. she ran her hands through my hair as i still sniffled. i opened my front facing camera. god i look like a fucking crackhead.

"ethan's been texting you." hannah whispered
as i opened messages.

136 texts from ethan dolan.

"wow he's clingy." hannah mumbled as she tugged on my roots.

"right!" i said and opened his texts.

i scanned over a few with my tired eyes which were sore from crying.

love you emma

i miss you

why'd you leave

mom told me u went to hannah's

i miss you

wait i already said that

i can't sleep w/o you

help

love you

respond

okay goodnight

pretty girl

i snorted and hannah cackled as i scrolled through the abundance of texts from an hour ago. i imagined him sprawled out on his sheets, hopefully dead asleep.

"d'you think he's going to ask you to wear his jersey on game day?" she whispered, sleepiness evident in her voice.

"mm, i don't know." i said. it was nearing 4am. i guess we're pulling an all nighter, considering we have to get up in an hour and a half to grab coffee's before school. hannah also promised to pick up ellie, who lived about 15 minutes from her house.

"gray asked me to wear his." she said, practically comatose.

"awww." i teased, staring up at her ceiling. i was wide awake. espresso's seem to have a special effect on me.

"mhm. he's so hot. i lobe him." she slurred, succumbing to sleep.

i laughed quietly at her confession, knowing my best friend was just as smitten with her.

at 5:00am, i was still alert. i decided to shower quickly, letting the cold water wash away the sluggishness i was sure would hit me at some point today.

i might be adopted. fucking hell.

i slipped into one of hannah's pullovers and a pair of levi shorts. i brushed out my hair, which was in desperate need of a trim.

i borrowed some of her socks and slid on my air force ones, ready for school.

at this point it was 5:47. hannah stirred in her bed as her three alarms rang through the room.

i shook her awake and texted ellie that we would be there in 15.

hannah showered in record time and threw on a shirt, i am assuming is one of graysons. she wore some jeans shorts as well, but placed on her birkenstock's rather than sneakers.

"coffee time." she said lethargically.

"yes. but i'm driving. you look like death." i teased as we walked over to her range rover.

she climbed into the passenger side, her head lolling onto the closed window.

i grabbed our coffees and hurried back to the car, only to find hannah chatting away on the phone.

"yes mom! that's great. i'll tell her. oh, here she is now....love you too... byeee!" she said happily.

"mom and david applied to adopt you, emma. it should take about 5 months or longer, but maybe by the end of this year we could be sisters, legally." she rambled, grabbing her coffee from my shaking hands.

i put my coffee in the cup holder and wrapped in her a quick hug, my smile wide. as i drove to ellie's, my cheeks started to hurt from smiling so much. i never wanted this feeling to go away.

when ellie got in the car, we sped off to school. i made a beeline for my locker, only to be greeted by none other than ethan, leaning against it not-so-casually.

"hey." he said softly. "you're rather smiley today." he said happily.

"yeah, i guess i am." i responded loftily, waiting to tell him the good news.

he wrapped me in a hug but then released me, crinkling his nose.

"these don't smell like you." he stated, probably assuming that this was a guys pullover. god he was so easily jealous.

"it's hannah's. she wears dude deodorant like a fucking weirdo." i joked, poking fun at my best friend and ethan's jealous tendencies.

"oh." he responded, embarrassed by his words from before.

"yes, oh. you really thought i was wearing another guy's stuff?" i teased once more.

"no- it's just, you're always wearing grayson's stuff. i want you to wear mine. not like i own you or anything because you're more than a just my girl.....but wanna wear my game jersey tomorrow?" he rambled, probably assuming i was going to get mad at his possessiveness.

"yes, you idiot. i thought you'd never ask." i joked, patting his cheek and walking away from him towards my first period class.

i texted lisa when i sat down in science, telling her had i news, assuming hannah's mom had not already corresponded with her.

a/n: vote for the next chapter! would you mind if i switched up the pov's instead of just doing emma?