chapter six

emma's pov:

the rest of the school day was pretty uneventful. there was a continuous buzz about a party after the game, so i guess there's that to look forward to.

i stood on the track, back facing the turf when the game began. hannah and i guided the team through the basic, mundane cheers you probably hear at every football game.

in the middle of the game i heard the piercing sound of a whistle.

all the cheerleaders whipped their heads around.

ethan dolan was fervently yelling at jack dail. his eyes resembled a hurricane rather than the usual thunderstorm.

what the fuck is going on?

"em!" i heard the familiar deep voice yell from across the field. why is grayson calling me?

i abandoned my teammates and sprinted over to grayson. he looked extremely worried.

"what are they fighting about gray?" i questioned, my curiosity getting the best of me.

he cleared his throat before uttering two words that would probably change my opinion on the man whore, emotionless, egotistical man i know as ethan dolan.

just kidding.

"some girl." grayson said as if that wasn't the most cryptic answer. jack and ethan have both been with so many girls, it was going to be difficult to figure out who.

at this point the ref was separating ethan from jack. ethan still glared at jack and shouted at the ref. jack rolled his eyes but cowered slightly.

ethan could take jack any day.

"he was fuckin- fuckin talking about her!! romanticizing rape. fucking perverted asshole. get him outta here!" ethan yelled at the ref.

i was shocked "romanticized" was apart of ethan's limited vocabulary, yet i felt my heart swell. he was defending a girl. for once he was being a decent fucking human being.

"it was just some locker room talk." jack said nonchalantly.

that's when ethan lost his shit. he wriggled out of the ref's arms and socked jack in the nose. jack lay on the ground, motionless, moaning in pain.

the coach pulled ethan back before he could continue his WWE reenactment. the bystanders in the crowd peered down worriedly at the scene that played out in front of them.

i could hear the shrill shrieks of stephanie, jack's on and off girlfriend from a mile away.

ethan was ordered to sit on the bench and the game resumed. jack was carried away by the paramedics on standby, for he was still unconscious and his nose was bleeding like niagra.

instead of returning to do the dumbass cheers, i decided to take a leap of faith and walk to over to ethan.

his expression softened when he saw me. that's rare.

"finally someone knocked that dumbass out." i joked.

a genuine laugh erupted from his chest and he patted the empty space on the bench, beckoning me to sit.

i sat down on the bench, still wearing his jersey.

"he deserved it chamberlain. otherwise it would not have been worth my time." he responded.

i hummed in agreement and grabbed the icepack from his hand.

i then placed it effectively on his swelling knuckles.

"why'd you move it?" he asked curiously.

"you were doing it wrong."

oh was all he muttered. the tension between us was so thick, but i couldn't figure out why.

"why was he worth it?" i finally asked. the hard expression returned to his face and he averted his gaze.

a/n: vote for the next chapter!