chapter twenty seven

emma's pov:

the next few days felt like a blur. it was almost as if my movements were robotic. i got out of bed every morning, went to school, and went to cheer, just to do it all over again the next day.

the dolan's were on edge as well. i could tell they were waiting for anything from jodi.

i hadn't spoken to ethan in awhile. i was glued to grayson's side half the time, scared i would crumble without him.

it was wednesday when my life turned around. i walked into the locker room, same as always, only to be greeted by a hoard of smiling faces. all of the cheerleaders had creepy ass grins plastered on their faces. i shrugged it off and got changed into some grey spandex and a white racer back tank top.

"today we're going to be doing some simple tumbling and running our routine for the game on friday." i said monotonously.

they all nodded and resumed practice.

i went through the motions of the dance and decided i needed a water break.

i pulled hannah aside and explained to her that i was headed to the water fountain.

"okay, but, is everything okay?" she whispered, her concern evident.

"uh- yeah han, everything's good." i replied, trying to believe those words myself.

she sent me a genuine smile before i jogged off to the water fountain outside of the girls bathroom.

as i was walking over i felt a hot hand grab my wrist and tug on it softly.

standing behind me was ethan in all his sweaty glory. his usual wavy hair was curly, probably from the heat. he was panting as he lightly smiled at me.

"hey you." i said, my mood instantly improving. i mindlessly traced the outline of his number on the front of his jersey with my finger. he shuddered and trained his eyes on mine.

"wanna make out?" he bluntly suggested.

i looked back to my team to make sure no one saw us, then nodded.

we stumbled into the handicapped bathroom as he pressed his chest against mine.

he backed us up against one of the grimy walls and i clutched onto his hair for dear life as he attacked my lips.

we soon fell into a rhythm. after 3 minutes we pulled apart, our breathing heavy.
he gave me one last kiss on my neck and pulled away completely, admiring his work. he ghosted his fingers over the bruised spot near my ear and smiled.

"thought you needed that." he said cockily.

"you sure about that dolan? it seems as if you needed that more than i did." i suggested while staring down at his bulge.

he laughed and threw his head back, embarrassed and amused. i smiled and realized how long i have been gone.

"i gotta go, but, maybe we can do this later?" i questioned, already knowing his answer.

"yeah. but coach is going to kill me."

i laughed and walked out the bathroom, making sure my hair covered my growing hickey.