chapter thirty

a/n: this chapter contains sensitive stuff, including mentions of sexual assault. if that triggers you PLEASE skip !!love u all very much <3 ! also emma cries a shit ton in this chapter, but dw, next chapter is a lot happier !

emma's pov:

my eyes started to water again because i'm an emotional bitch. ethan asking that simple question made me lose all sense of security. he knew my dad abused me...but something else happened.

he tilted my chin up to his gaze with the pad of his thumb.

"i love you, you know that right?" he asked, not pressuring me after seeing my reaction.

i nodded lamely and leaned into his chest, pressing my nose against his soft tee and breathing in the scent.

he carded his fingers through my long hair and kissed my cheek softly.

we stayed like this for a few moments before we heard loud footsteps near the room. we jumped apart, almost as if we had been electrocuted.

"uh-hey ethan. coach wants us to meet to talk about the game on friday." grayson said while clearing his throat awkwardly.

ethan nodded and looked at me one last time before standing up.

grayson noticed my tear-streaked face and frowned. i could see him working out why im crying. he then turned to ethan.

"you good emma? what'd you do E?" grayson barked while staring at ethan menacingly.

"what! why would i-," ethan began angrily, waving his arms frantically.

i cut him off and gave a light smile in an attempt to ease the tension between the two brothers.

"he just said some stupid stuff, gray, the usual." i said like laughing lightly. if we were going to keep this a secret from overprotective grayson, we're going to have to try a lot harder.

ethan looked upset at my fake confession but huffed and walked out of the room.

grayson opened his arms for a hug and i happily complied.

"i'm okay now G." i said, trying to keep our cover.

"you're a shitty liar." he said while laughing boisterously.

i blushed and ducked out of his embrace. i walked with him down the stairs to his front door, expecting him to follow ethan out to the car. before he exited, he prompted me by poking my arm lightly.

"hey em?" he asked while quirking a brow.

"yes, grayson?" i huffed, feigning annoyance.

"how good is my brother, be honest." he joked, insinuating something we hadn't even gotten to.

"shut the fuck up!" i whined and poked his belly.

"but seriously, i'm doing this study and i wanted to see-," he teased, smiling wide.

"go to your stupid football thingy, now G. not a word to e, okay?" i said.

"he lets you call him E?" he stammered, his eyes as wide as saucers.

i nodded and shrugged, blushing like a maniac.