chapter twenty three

a/n: OMG you guys!!! 10k reads? you all are craaazyyy!!! i know numbers aren't everything but it really means a lot that people are reading and enjoying this story. sorry this is a short one. the next chapter is a lot longer!

grayson's pov:

i walked into the front door after escaping the pouring rain with hannah. we retired to my bronco and kissed slowly until the rain halted.

hannah was playing with my fingers and pressed against my side as we entered my house.

the house was fucking silent and it was weird.
ethan and emma weren't exchanging their usual sarcastic words with each other.

i pushed open emma's bedroom door to find her laying on her bed with fresh clothes on. she was scrolling through her phone lazily and her hair was dripping wet, so i could tell she just showered.

"hey em!" hannah said cheerfully.

i smiled at her happiness, wanting to bask in her light forever.

"whatcha doin?" i asked emma. she looked frantic and worried, despite her nonchalant appearance.

"nothing much." she replied. i could tell there was a lot she was not telling me. i found that with emma however, it was better not to pry, but rather to let her come to you.

"mkay. where's ethan?"

"his room i think..." she said nervously. what the hell happened?

i left hannah and emma to go find ethan. maybe he would know why emma's acting so strange.

i walked into his room to find him also in new clothes. his hair was damp and his cheeks were pink.

i suddenly felt a brotherly urge and spat at ethan.

"what the fuck happened between you and emma huh? are you gonna hurt her?"

he looked appalled that i was even suggesting that. his eyes grew dark he stepped towards me.

"gray. you know i wouldn't do that." he began.

my shoulders tensed. i really didn't know because ethan had fuck boy tendencies. yes he told me he was in love with her... but what if this is just a play to take her virginity?

"i'm just lookin out for her." i stated.

"you don't need to gray, she can look out for herself." ethan said.

i felt the knot uncoil in my stomach. for once my brother was right. i needed to step back. emma's the same age as me and more mature for fucks sake.

"you're right, i'm sorry."

"also there's nothing going on." ethan said.

i nodded, wondering why i even jumped to that conclusion. emma is smarter than that and knows ethan will just fuck her over.

"good."

i walked out of the room. i couldn't imagine my brother and my best friend together, despite all the times i've told emma how ethan feels.

i know they're not good for each other. at least i thought i did.

i walked back into emma's room to find her and hannah chatting animatedly about something.

as soon as i stepped foot into the room their conversation stopped. i knew something was up but didn't want to accept the truth.

a/n: vote for the next chapter!! grayson isn't jealous btw, just extremely overprotective and doesn't want emma to get hurt!!!