chapter fourteen

a/n: mentions of abuse!!! if this triggers you please skip to the next chapter. if anyone needs to talk i'm here :)

emma's pov:

"no you don't." i stated while scoffing. it was the truth. if he really missed me or whatever bullshit he was spewing out of that beautiful mouth of his, he would not have left in the first place.

he stared at me wide eyed. his eyes scanned my face for a while. he looked away abruptly and bit his lip.

"you're so stubborn." he finally said. "why is it so impossible for you to believe that i miss you?"

i genuinely laughed at his words.

"because dolan, i'm just a stupid cheerleader and all you want to do is get in my pants."

"i-," he started speaking up. i wagged a finger in front of his face which effectively shut him up.

"deny it all you want, but i'm no different than any other girl you've fucked, besides the fact that it will never happen." i finished while sighing.

"i wouldn't- i couldn't do that to you," he stated while sitting up as well.

"oh that's fresh coming from the boy who seems to have zero emotions." i responded snarkily.

"emma-," he began again but i was sick of it.

"don't emma me, dolan. i don't want to hear it. you left me. you knew i needed you and you still walked out on me. over what? a chance to kiss megan or brianna or whatever other girl you were into that week?"

he remained silent as i continued to scold him.

"little did you know i was getting beaten every fucking night by my excuse of a dad. i had to confess this to grayson rather than you."

"i'm sorry..." he whispered hesitating. his calloused hand reached for my petite one but i jerked it away and jumped off the trampoline. my feet hit the soft grass and i found myself running upstairs like a fucking track star just so i wouldn't embarrass myself more.

"gray.." i croaked while walking into his room.

he opened his arms and held me tight while i curled up into a tiny ball on his bed.

he didn't even question what happened. he simply held me like the day i told him about my dad's abuse.

flashback:

i felt my shoulder sting after the powerful punch. i cried out in pain but no one heard. my dad held me tightly.

i blinked away the salty tears blurring my vision and managed to wriggle out of his drunken grasp.

i bolted for the front door and made it across my lawn without difficulty, considering my dad was so inebriated.

my feet thumped against the concrete sidewalks as i sprinted blindly. i just knew i had to get away.

i could feel the soles of my feet beginning to scrape so i slowed to a jog. i found myself peering up at the dolan's house. a wave of relief washed over me.

grayson was practicing lacrosse in the front yard. he immediately noticed my presence and  dropped his stick.

he rushed to my side. my eighth grade self didn't realize the array of bruises i was sporting until grayson pointed them out.

"emma are you okay?" he asked calmly.

"where's ethan? i need ethan..." i began, my voice cracking ever so slightly.

"sarah's i think." grayson said solemnly.

"oh." i replied lamely.

"em. you can tell me anything you know, it might not seem like it but i'm always here, okay?

i silently nodded and felt the need to finally tell someone what had been happening for so long.

" well my dad-um-he..uh- hits me." i breathed out, tears threatening to spill.

god how embarrassing. grayson is probably going to ditch me now just like ethan did.

" oh fuck emma.....you want to tell mom?" grayson said after rubbing my back comfortingly.

"she can help." he continued, trying to make sure i was comfortable.

he walked me inside. that day was the last day i ever saw my dad. it was also the first day i realized i had a best friend.

"i love you grayson." i stated in the most sisterly way possible. he continued to scratch my back and help me calm down.

"i love you too em, but you smell." he said while plugging his nose for emphasis.

i laughed and ran towards the bathroom, not realizing who was inside.

a/n: vote for the next chapter!!!