Fifty-Five

Lucas
"Sweetheart are you okay?"

My mother call through the door I wipe my eyes clearing my throat taking a few deep breaths.

"I'll be fine don't worry."

"Will you talk to me? You've been upset ever since we came back from visiting Attwell. Can I come in?"

"I don't care."

Burying my face in my pillow I hear the door open and the bed dip as she sits next to me.

"What happened love you know you can talk to Mom about it only if you want."

"My girlfriend broke things off with me she was worried about holding me back and being too stressed out over college and everything."

"I'm so sorry sweetie on one side I can understand why she did but she should have spoken with you about it first. Has she mentioned anything about you two splitting before now?"

"No but shee she new I would have done everything I could to change her mind."

I reply wiping my face she hands me a tissue and I thank her wiping my nose.

"Is she going away to school too?"

"No she's staying here in town and with me being two hours away she's worried about a lot."

"What type of things is she worried about?"

Taking a few moments to collect myself I tell her what Crystal told me by the time I finish I reach for more tissues.

"You poor dears school can be so difficult when it comes to adding in a relationship. Tell you what for now focus on enjoying the rest of your summer and then school. If you can't get over this then talk to her again okay? She could be scared of more than just making you lose your dream."

"How so?"

"Well by telling you she loved you it might have been a lot for her to take in. Just give each other some space and if it's supposed to work out it will I promise. I know that having your mind set on school work is important but your happiness is important too and she seems to make you happy. But remember you can't let just one person be the sole purpose of your happiness."

Nodding I wipe my eyes taking a few breaths to calm myself down.

"How about you and I go downstairs and have a big feast? Your sisters are staying the night with friends and your brother is over at his friend Zach's for the night as well."

"Can we order take out?"

"Of course we also have some junk food and we can watch whatever movie you want. When I was your age and heartbroken this was how grandma would help me out."

"Okay thanks mom."

I sniffle wrapping my arms around her in a hug after getting off my bed she smiles kissing my cheek and ruffling my hair.

"Go shower and change into pajamas then meet me down in the living room."

"Alright I'll be down soon."

Watching her leave I grab some pajamas going into the bathroom I turn the shower on stepping under the hot water after stripping. Washing my hair I scrub my skin starting to feel refreshed thinking back to my conversation with Michael and Lacy yesterday I can't help but tear up.
~
"Lucas what's wrong?"

Lacy asked me I tried to speak past the lump in my throat and the tears in my eyes I didn't know how to say.

"Send a message and we'll read it out loud."

Michael suggests nodding I pull out my phone with shaky fingers I type out the message my tears falling down my face. Hitting send I wipe my face waiting for Michael to receive it my chest hurting while Michael reads it.

"Crystal and I broke up she didn't want to get in the way of my schooling. Aw man I'm so sorry when did it happen?"

"When she came to see me."

I sniffle rolling over in my bed pulling my blanket up higher over my shoulder.

"She told Kayla and I she was a little worried about how it would work but I didn't think she would end things with you for real."

"Trust me it hit me out of nowhere I tried to call her after I got out of the shock but she didn't pick up. Kayla texted me later that night asking if I was okay I didn't know what to do or what to say."

"We're really sorry Lucas."

Lacy says as we continue to talk I bite my lip taking a few deep breaths as I think over her words.

"She said she loved me."

"What?"

Michael asks I smile slightly at the shock in his voice shifting the phone to my other ear.

"She said she couldn't believe she was telling me right before she left cause she felt like a dick but thought I deserved to know. She said I love you I think sometime after the night we spent in the field she realized it. She knew it was fast we both know that but it was something she couldn't help and she wanted me to go out and live my life the best way I could."

"That is so sweet and so damn heartbreaking at the same time what are you going to do?"

"Not really much I can do if she won't talk to me I don't want to hurt her but I don't want to lose her either."

"Give yourself a couple of days to think about it okay? Then decide what you're going to do we can be messengers for you two alright?"

"Thank you both I appreciate it so much."

"We love you Lucas you're family Michael and I will do whatever we can to help out."
~
Getting dressed I dry my hair I couldn't ask for better friends I'm thankful for all the help they were willing to give me.

"There you are, come on the pizza should be here soon I got some treats from the pantry."

My mother smiles pulling me into a hug smiling I hug her back rubbing my eyes as we sit together on the couch.

"What movie do you want to watch first?"

"Step Brothers?"

"Great choice."

She smiles scrolling through the selection of movies before hitting select leaning back against the cushions I munch on a Swiss Roll.

"Thanks for this mom it means a lot."

"Anything to help you out baby you know you can talk to me about anything even if it's just to listen to you go on about nothing."

"I love you."

"I love you too sweetheart we'll get through this together and if you want it'll be just our little secret."

We spend the rest of the evening pigging out on food and watching movies my heart feeling just a little bit lighter than it had the last few days.
------------
I love his mom so much.